Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgfryar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 07:51 AM
    4 prong plug for dryer - new dryer installation
    We are installing a new dryer with a 220 volt 4 prong plug, old dryer had only 3 prongs
    How is the house wiring attached to new receptacle?
    cgfryar
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Trussel will be on line later and give you the best answer. 4 prong is the current or new version of 220vac hook up. Unless you have some skill with electricity you may want to get an electrician to do this for you. I have seen some home owner who changed the new 4 prong back to 3, seems like going backwards.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Since the three wire feeder and outlet is existing , it does not need to be changes to the new 4 wire circuit.

You can change the 4 wire cord to three wire on the dryer, but you will need to install a jumper from the neutral terminal, usually the center,and connect to the metal frame of the dryer. The frame will get grounded through the neutral. There may be a green screw near the terminal strip that this jumper can be connected to.

Hope this helps.
    cgfryar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Thank you very much for the advice - that is a big help.
    We have our problem solved.
    cgfryar

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 4 prong dryer plug to 3 [ 2 Answers ]

My wall outlet is a 4 prong I have a pigtail to change my Sears dryer to a 3 prong but not sure how to properly wire it the 4 plug is red, white, black and green the replacent not color coded

Can I rewire a chandelier with a two-prong plug? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a chandelier that came with a two-prong plug. The store I bought it at told me I can simply cut off the plug, split the wires, strip them and then make the appropriate connections. While this is a reputable store, I am not convinced that this is safe. Please advise.

Changing Plug on Dryer [ 3 Answers ]

I have a dryer plug that is four prongs and I was told that I can just get a different plug and change it to a three prong. (which I need to do if possible because of the hook ups I have in my apt.) I so how do I go about changing it? Which connection goes were? The four prong plug has four...

Three prong dryer element [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that has a dryer problem. First the breaker was shot. I replaced it. Next the thermoswitch was shot. I replaced it. Now I only get 110 too all three of the dryer connections. I cannot get 240 across these connections. Am I too assume this dryer has two elements since there are...

View more questions Search