Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aureliedlb Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Federal and California taxes on the sell of french shares
    Hello,

I'm going to sell some french shares called BSPCE (Share warrants for entrepreneurs in english) - they are a Right to Subscribe or purchase shares at a pre-agreed price - in English referred to as "Equity warrants" or "Stock subscription warrants (SSW)".
    I've got them since 2010.

I would like to know if I will have to fill the form 8949 (long-term capital gains) or another one to the IRS or if I will only pay taxes on the gain in France ? The concerned entreprise is a french entreprise.
    Same question for California State Taxes.

I'm in the 25% tax bracket, what would be the tax rate on this gain ?

Thanks for your help
    Lily
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
    Lily:

First, I assume you are a U.S. citizen AND a resident of California. If so, then, yes, you must report the sale of these warrants on BOTH your U.S. and California state income tax returns.

You will be able to claim a credit for any taxes paid in France using Form 1116 (Foreign Tax Credit) on your federal return, but NOT the California return

If you need professional help, email me at the email address in my profile.
    aureliedlb Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
    I'm not a US citizen, I'm french, but I'm a US tax resident (H1B visa) and California State resident.

Does it change anything because I'm not a US citizen ?

Thanks again for your help.
    Lily
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Lily:

No, it makes no difference.

H-1B visa holders are taxed exactly like U.S. citizens. That is what is required by the U.S.-French Tax Treaty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Siblings have equal shares in family home can one person sell it or auction it Off [ 6 Answers ]

When my mom passed she had a living trust in it it gave each one of her children equal shares in said home. Two siblings live in the home and another one who was making the payments on the home for the rest of us defaulted and now it is going up for the highest bidder and I just found this out...

How do I work out what it would cost to sell shares for my business? [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting a business and need to source investors/shareholders. How do I calculate how much I can sell shares for. In other words cost per share?

Shares of stock sell to meet cash needs [ 1 Answers ]

Phillip's Manufacturing wants to raise $15million to open a new production center. The company estimates the issue costs including the legal and accounting fees will be $530,000. The underwriters have set the stock price at $23 a share and the underwriting spread at 8.5 percent. How many shares...

Filing Federal Taxes Jointly and State Taxes Separately [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are both on Active Duty in the Military, and we were married in May of this year so this will be the first year filing Jointly. Is it sensible to file joint federal taxes and separate state taxes this year (Wisconsin and Maryland) even though we are both stationed and living in...

Brother wishes to sell his shares in inheritance [ 10 Answers ]

I am a benificiary of 1/7 share of 120 acres which is currently being sold to pay off estate debts and then benificiaries. Problem: My 2nd oldest brother wishes to sell his portion for $5000 which is a substantial less amount than his share is worth. He needs the money now and is willing...

View more questions Search