Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anilove3000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
    Answers to math word problems
    Gregorys family is purchasing a flat screen tvfor their family christmas gift. They already have a TV cabinet that measures 35 inches times 23 inches. Gregory figured that the largest TV screen that would fit would be 42 inches TV. Prove mathematically how gregory concluded this and provide an explanation in your own words.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Hint: the size of a TV screen is given by the length of the diagonal from one corner of the screen to the opposite corner, so I suspect that the intent of this problem is to have you apply the Pythagorian Theorem.

But I got to say - this question is really dumb, for a couple of reasons. First, not all 42" screens are the same length and width, so it's not guarranteed that a 42" screen will fit a 35" x 23" opening. And second - it ignores the case of the TV that surrounds the screen - which makes it so that a TV with screen of 42" is larger than 23" x 35". So I would argue that poor Gregory is wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Answers to my math word problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have 31 dollars. I want to make 113 dollars in 17 days. How much money should I make each day?

Answers to math word problems [ 2 Answers ]

the perimiter of a regular pentagon is 41.5 cm. write and solve a equation to determine the length of each side of th epentagon.

Answers to math word problems? [ 2 Answers ]

Charity has 3 times as long a walk to school as Michele has and the difference between the distances they walk is (1)/(5) a mile. How far does each walk?

Answers to math word problems? [ 1 Answers ]

This Statement of Work concerns developing a District Manager training program for the Absolute Service Company. The work involves two major Tasks. There must be an external evaluation before Beginning work on the next Task. The project deadline is October 1, 2006. If the deadline is not met,...

View more questions Search