Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrclean Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Pre-soldered copper fittings!
    What's new!

Can anyone tell me how this new pre-soldered fittings can work. Would pro's use them?
    Thanks
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Speaking only for myself, I prefer to see the solder flow into and around the joint with my own eyes.

Having said that, I can't say anything good or bad about them.

Post back if you use them and let us know how it went.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 08:23 AM
    call me an intermediate DIY'er concerning plumbing and soldering. Haven't done lots and lots, but enough to know now that I can solder joints and likely walk away with no worries about pinhole leaks. Well almost. I might still be unsure until I have the water on, but not as nervous as I used to be. =)

I used the presoldered some, just to try them out. At the same time I also started using oatey's #95 tinning flux to experiment. I found that proper use of the tinning flux made everything work... even connections I deliberately tried to do a crappy job of heating uniformally.

oatey's #95 flux is a tinning flux with solder powder mixed in, got it at HD or Lowe's... so you are essentially presoldering the joint. I do still use and have solder... but I think it's a lot easier to see when the temp is right with the tinned flux. When it gets hot enough you see the solder liquefy in the joint and then you can hit it around quickly with a little extra solder. Yes, you can do the same without pre-tinned flux just by touching the solder occasionally until its ready, but I really like the visual cue that the pre-tinned gives, and I've seen no failures yet. The pretinned flux was recommened to me by a guy who does a lot of plumbing and said he didn't use it but its not bad for a DIY'er like me.

so at this point, though the pre-soldered always seemed to work, I think its more cost effective to use the oatey's #95 and I didn't have a single leak last year when I ran new lines to a bathroom and new connections to a water softener and home filter. And also helped run lines at a buddy's house. That was when I was sold on the tinned flux... when I could run lines at a friends and not worry that his house would be flooding later that night.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Home depot and Lowe's have the presoldered fittings on clearance. I have used them. They appear to have thinner walls. I used them exactly the same way I used the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

Replacing sink chrome soldered gate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, has anyone had to change a sink gate that was soldered into a wall and had to turn the compression fit. Out of the way of a pop-up rod after changing the sink. The chrome pipe can't be heated enough to unsweat it from the copper feed.

Gluing copper pipe fittings [ 4 Answers ]

comic sans ms5 Hi I'm very new to forums so I don't know if I'm even in the right place so please forgive my mistakes hopefully I'll learn how to do this without losing my sanity or driving anyone crazy. So here is my question I need to know if it is possible to glue copper pipe I don't like...

Copper drips at soldered joints [ 1 Answers ]

I just had the copper in my kitchen replaced by a plumber. I have been working in the kitchen... getting it ready to have the cabinets installed. I have noticed some joints drip a little bit from the soldered joints. I notice the drops on the concrete. When I touch it to check it, the drips...

Gluing copper fittings? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have read about a product that claims to glue copper fittings together instead of soldering them. Lets just say that this product works as advertised. The product is called just for copper and they have a website www.justforcopper.com. What I am trying to figure out is, is gluing the...

View more questions Search