Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandyp183 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2012, 09:55 PM
    My family has stumped me
    3 guys need a hotel to for the night the lady said 30 dollars so they split it 3 ways which.it is10.00 $a piece. Then the lady remembers the room is on special for 25 dollars so she sends the bell hop up with 5 dollars. They each get a dollar and tip the bell hop 2 dollars. Where is the missing dollar...

Because they ended up paying 27 dollars for the room 9 dollars a piece equaling to 27 but then 2 dollar tip for bell hop- were is the 1dollar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
    No missing dollar, no idea where your 27 comes from

30 minus 5 is 25

You don't concern over 30 any longer,

They got back 5, but only took one each back, 25 pus 3 is 28, not 27.

The missing dollar is in the poor math
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
    yeah - this is kind of goofy:

Original price: $30
    Three men each pay $10: 3 x $10: $30
    Desk clerk refunds $5
    Bell hop keeps $2 of the refund: $5 - $2 = $3
    Three men each get $1 back: $3 - $3 = 0

You're even.

There are still some mysteries in this scenario though, which I could not figure out:

- why are 3 men sharing a hotel room?
    - where on God's green earth can anyone find a $25 a night hotel with bellhop service?
    - why are you letting your relatives talk to you about math? They cleary are not informed on the subject!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2012, 04:15 AM
    I've been telling this riddle for for more than 40 years. It is a mathematical anomaly. When calculated one way: since each man initially paid $10, but got back $1 they paid $9 each and 3*9 is 27, plus the 2 for the bellhop makes $29 there does indeed seem to be a missing dollar. I'm not sure why this anomaly exists but it does.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 17, 2012, 05:27 AM
    One way to look at this is to say that 30 doesn't belong; it never existed; it was wrong.
    The room cost 25. They paid 10 each. They got back 1 for each man and 2 for the hop. The numbers
    10 - 1 = 9
    3 x 9 - 2 = 25
    are all that exist in this scenario.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
    Yeah -

They each paid $9. 9 x 3 = $27

This adds up perfectly: $25 for the room and $2 for the bellhop = $27

The error in your calculation, Scott, is that you're adding $2 to the total of $27 to get $29. The $27 already includes the $2 tip. It does not include the $1 each that were returned to the three men. Add that $1/each for the three men and you get to $30

$25 - cost of room
    $2 - tip for bellhop
    $3 - $1 each returned to each of the three men

$25 + $2 + $3 = $30 which, divided by 3 = $10 for each of the three men.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
    Nobody calculated wrong. It's a trick puzzle.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Nobody calculated wrong. It's a trick puzzle.
    Exactly, it's a mathematical anomaly. But I like the explanation that the $2 is included in the $27, but not the $3.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm stumped [ 5 Answers ]

Met a guy online. He sent me an email first. I responded. We had a great back and forth. A week later I left him a fun short email in the late afternoon. One sentence to be exact. He responded later that night. Next day I responded. We had another great back and forth. Our exchange was more like a...

Really stumped! [ 8 Answers ]

I'm really stumped on this one: "The probability of C is 0.4. The conditionaly probability that C occurs given that D occurs is 0.5. The conditional probability that C occurs given that D does not occur is 0.25. A. What is the probability that D occurs? B. What is the conditional...

Stumped [ 5 Answers ]

We had some renovations done on our family home four years ago. A couple of years ago we started having a problem in where the sink water from the kitchen upstairs along with the dishwasher was flooding the bathroom sink downstairs. We had called the contractor who said he would come to look at it...

I'm stumped [ 4 Answers ]

:( k me and my boy friend have been dating for a year and six months now and I feel like our relationsip is turning into just sex, he lives in the next town away from me now so we only get to see each other like once or twice a week, and that is all we seem to do its getting borring to me I told...

We're stumped [ 2 Answers ]

Monday when I came home from work ,I was greeted with the most god awful smell coming from our bathroon sink vanity. The odor is only in the center part where sink and pipes are. I can stick my nose down the drain and there's no odor also on each side compartment of vanity there's no odor. Down in...

View more questions Search