Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plaidoe Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2003, 03:23 PM
    3 yr. old and type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily.
    I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day.

I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is not a high number at all. The pediatrician (whom I have had since I was born) basically says to always keep your eyes open, but not to worry at all.

I also know that diabetes can increase a person's need to urinate and make then thirsty. That brings me to my question: do you think the following behavior in my 3 yr. old son is normal or a sign of diabetes?

First of all, he constantly has to have something to drink. Which I never really thought about much until recently. And second, he started potty training about 2 months ago. He was doing great then all of a sudden, he just doesn't make it to the potty any more. Like he is regressing in that area.

We haven't gone through any major changes since he started the potty training so I know that that is not it. I just don't want to keep asting like he is misbehaving or just not paying attention if he can't help it.

I know a doctor's advice is best, but currently we don't have insurance. I was just looking for an opinion or advice from someone with experience.

Thanks so much for reading all of this! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hollie
    christinewest-stephen Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2006, 06:07 PM
    I just found out that my 2 year old has diabities and the things you are dicribing with you son are simmaler to what was happening to my son. One thin that I can recommend is do you have a meater to test blood sugers or can you get a hold of one is so test his bloods sugar levels with the meater he may not like it but its for his own good that's how I found out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a bloodt test for diabetes and my doctor wants to see me again as it was a bit high, I have been told to stay awat from sweet things and carbos by another diabetic that I know, I was wondering if there is a possibility as after a meal with carbos in I am ill, usually my stomach, it plays...

Diabetes symptoms? [ 4 Answers ]

I had gestational diabetes in my second pregnancy in 2004 and was told that I am at a high risk of developing diabetes mellitus later on. For the past month or so, I have been urinating more than usual, been extremely hungry and thirsty, sleepier than usual, my eyes have been sore and my vision...

Type 2 Diabetes: effects of carbohydrates [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and would like some specific information on how simple and complex carbohydrates are processed in the body. For example, I have been led to believe that complex carbohydrates are processed more slowly in the stomach, increasing blood sugar over a...

3 yr. Old & type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

View more questions Search