Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrme75652 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2012, 01:33 PM
    How do you test an ignition coil on a 1992 Honda Civic LX
    Wanting to test the ignition coil on my 1992 Honda Civic. The car turns over but won't start. Replaced fuel filter,Spark Plugs, and plug wires,and Distributor cap and rotor. It is getting fuel and all air is bled out of the fuel lines. Checked for spark with a spark plug tester and no fire so I am thinking Ignition Coil. Any help appreciated.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
    If the CEL comes on and goes out after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. Bench testing coils and ICMs is pretty much a waste of time, since it doesn't come close to conditions under load. Instead, I recommend replacing these components every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Dec 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    If the CEL comes on and goes out after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. Bench testing coils and ICMs is pretty much a waste of time, since it doesn't come close to conditions under load. Instead, I recommend replacing these components every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.
    What is the CEL?
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2012, 06:35 AM
    Check Engine Light

Dec 16, 2012, 07:11 AM
    Duhh should have known that. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Dec 18, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrme75652 View Post
    Duhh should have known that. Thanks. I'll give that a try.
    Changed the ECM and coil and that did the trick. Tanks for all the help. Going cruising.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2012, 08:26 AM
    ICM or ECM? Be sure you applied silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the new ICM--otherwise, it won't last long.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic 91 main relay and Ignition Coil [ 2 Answers ]

I am new and by luck I found this question/answer website, I have a Honda Civic 91, and have similar problems with starting, there is no spark, my first question is how to test the Ignition Coil, there are two terminals +(pos) and -(neg) and the metal body, I measured between the + and - and got...

1992 Honda Accord Ignition coil replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering how you replace the ignition coil? If you just unhook the wires and everything else, taking out the bolts and then replacing it with the new ignition coil or if there is any extra things I need to do

Trouble shoot ignition coil 98 honda civic [ 2 Answers ]

I have a feeling my ignition system is the problem, my 1998 honda civic won't start. But how do I trouble shoot the ignition coil before I replace it?

How to change a ignition coil on a honda civic 89 model [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change an ignition coil on a hoda civic 1989 model Thanks

1992 honda civic ignition prob [ 15 Answers ]

Hi all,seeing if anyone has any thoughts Got a 92 civic 1.5 commuter car was driving and it quit.no spark. Have no voltage at the map sensor terminals but voltage at the coil primary. Check engine light is on doesn't go off no code stored though. Did blow the 7.5 fuse under hood for ecm. Swapped...

View more questions Search