Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rvalanta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 10:20 PM
    Papers served
    I was served papers by someone from the court house. I did not sign anything and the papers don't have a court date.. they r from a collection agency what do I do?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2012, 01:01 AM
    Well, you need to read the papers and see what they say. They should spell out exactly what is happening. There should be some type of Notice attached to them (normally a Notice of Motion or Notice of Filing) which will tell you what's going on. If it mentions a court date, you need to show up at court at that time and date to defend yourself against whatever you are accused of - apparently not paying a debt in this case. If you do not go, they can and probably will enter what's called a "default order" and could order that you pay the original debt plus additional costs like the attorney fees for whomever is bringing you to court.

You should talk to a lawyer. Most will meet with you once for free. If you can hire someone to go to court with you, that would be best.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2012, 01:10 AM
    Sorry - I just realized that you said that there's no mention of a court date. Is there a "petition" or "motion" mentioned or a "notice of filing?" If there are things of this nature, that would mean that the creditor has filed documents with the court, in anticipation of suing you to collect the debt.

Otherwise they might have used a process server so that they can prove later in court that they sent you whatever they sent - a final notice of collection, for example. That could just be a warning that if you don't pay up, they are going to court next.

You do NOT want them to take you to court because then you can also be held responsible for paying their court costs and attorneys, which can be more than the original debt sometimes, plus late fees, interest and so on. Your best bet is to negotiate terms to repay them what you owe. Most creditors will work with you if you make any reasonable effort to pay the debt, such as making smaller payments over a longer period, but once you enter into a payment arrangement, you have to send the agreed amount on time every time.

If you are up to your neck in bills you can't pay, and assuming you are in the US (I don't know), you can also go see a bankruptcy attorney. A bankruptcy is sometimes the best option because you can be forgiven for debts you cannot pay, and the creditors have to leave you alone. It hurts your credit for several years, but no more so than having a bunch of unpaid bills and being sued, etc. It might be worth just going to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer to find out what your options are - you don't have to go through with it if it turns out not to be what you want to do.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvalanta;
    I was served papers ... and the papers don't have a court date ... what do I do?
    Read the papers.

Were you served a summons and a complaint? The summons normally would say that you have so many days (typically 20) in which to file an answer with the court. That is what you should consider doing.

A court date might be set at a future time, depending on the procedure of the particular court, and assuming you do what the papers say to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2012, 10:26 AM
    I'd like to know specifically what the papers say and what "served from the Courthouse" means. I've been seeing paperwork prepared by collection agencies which is a warning that if a bill isn't paid the matter could be sued. They look official, but there are no dates, no index numbers. In some States served papers must have an index number.

Where is this?

Also, in my area Attorneys are no longer doing "one visit free."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served papers [ 8 Answers ]

HELLO, Last night my Fiancˇ answered the door to a lady standing there and as I came out of the room, due to the barking dog, she said its for you. I greet the lady and she hands me some papers and says sign here, (I already knew what it was) I signed her sheet and took the documents. It's...

Papers served [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served papers by a collection agency to pay an amount of money I don't have. My options are to pay the debt plus court cost or deny and go to court. What do I do I don't have the money?

Served papers or not? [ 6 Answers ]

If you are verbally served to appear in court as a witness, is it legal?

Being served papers [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of a sheriff processor that is trying to serve me papers at my house. He also has called my son to try and pick up these papers. I am sure it is over an old credit card bill. I know that if I accept the papers then will have a court date and then if I do not go to court they put a...

Served Papers [ 1 Answers ]

I got served papers a 30 days ago by my sons father. We currently do not have anything on paper about who has custody and have not since he was born. Our son spends 3 days a week with him and 4 days with me. I live an hour away from his father and the papers that I got served with are asking for...

View more questions Search