Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    don't know where to put this... I am fuming mad. I have no issue saying violence against Westboro should be allowed for this. They are going to picket where it happened. OMG.
    I also read another school shooting was prevented today as people spoke up ahead of time. I will say this again. I don't care about right to bear arms, and health care. I just want this fixed NOW. What can we do as a society. (if this is the wrong spot sorry.) What do we do as people... how do we protect our children, grandkids etc. Don't tell me to get a gun as I would not qualify (mental illness and prior suicide attempts.) Also I don't know if I can trust myself with one as I still have down days. I have thought I would like to have one as I am scared of the world but realize it is not a good idea for me.
    I had answered you question already as to what I believe can be done. And if you feel the need to arm yourself and aren't comfortable or can't purchase a gun there are plenty of nonleathal ways to do it. Pepper spray is but one of many. A stun gun is yet another. Check your local laws if you can carry or need a permit to do so.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2012, 08:38 PM
    Our nation bought into the notion of disposable youth as a policy in 1973.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
    Sorry I realize you did. I am venting as I have started to become overwhelmed feeling like this needs to be fixed and now. I have refused to read any news or watch it as it is affecting me negatively with my emotions. I did not mean to disrespect what you contributed at all.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
    I'm wondering if violent video games figure into this somehow -- say, if Adam Lanza didn't work, was home all day mostly in his room (playing video games?), was fairly impressionable, considered life disposable as per what he saw in movies or TV or on video games... Just thinking...

His mother apparently didn't work, was collecting a lot of money from alimony, so Adam didn't have to work either and maybe, based on what is coming out about his inability to relate to others, he wasn't able to hold down a job anyway.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
    Sorry I realize you did. I am venting as I have started to become overwhelmed feeling like this needs to be fixed and now. I have refused to read any news or watch it as it is affecting me negatively with my emotions. I did not mean to disrespect what you contributed at all.
    Mogrann, you can't let this affect you. Mourn for the loss, sympathize, but don't let this put you in a bad place when you've made so much progress.

This is one person. One! One person that decided to do something evil. Yes, it was pure evil, and it shouldn't have happened, but you're reacting as if the entire world is made up of evil people.

That's not the case at all. This is one man, one unstable man, and sadly, he accessed weapons, one weapon that can shoot 100 rounds a minute (all those for guns, tell me again why anyone not defending your country should have access to a weapon like this?) and he killed innocent people. One man, that sadly had access to very dangerous weapons.

Everyone thinks I'm against guns. I'm not. If you want a weapon to protect yourself, I agree with that. I'm not against that. What I'm against is people owning weapons that can shoot 100 rounds a minute. Why? There's no need for that.

I do support stricter gun laws in the US. That doesn't mean that I don't think people should have the right to arm themselves, I just don't think they have the right to arm themselves as if they're going to war with the entire world. :(
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
    I read Wondergirls post and thought how dare she blame video games. (I am a gamer). Then I thought I am looking for answers. I want this fixed. If it is something I like and it truly is the cause how can I discount it because I like it. I think that is the attitude we all need. To listen to each other, and figure this out.
    Maybe it is not all or nothing and black and white thinking. Please hear me out. For some people violent games are okay yet for others it is not due to their own private issues, mental health etc. Same as gun ownership. Same as treatement for mental health issues. I have been looking for one fix. Someone to say do this now it is all better, but that is more of the black and white thinking. Maybe it is a bit of everything. It comes down to what the person needs. Now that I have said that how do we do this so everyone gets what they need. What kinds of safety nets do we need for parents, for caregivers, for schools, for doctors, etc. We as a society need to wake up and become a village for each child.
    I will admit I have been on edge due to the person having a personality disorder.. that is what I have. It is scaring me so bad. I am trying to realize I am not that person, I have skills etc. The fear is still there.
    I hope I have made sense in this post. This tragedy has affected me deeply as it has many others. Lets just be kind to each other... and I must say this thread has been very respectful. And kind.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    That's not the case at all. This is one man, one unstable man, and sadly, he accessed weapons, one weapon that can shoot 100 rounds a minute (all those for guns, tell me again why anyone not defending your country should have access to a weapon like this?) and he killed innocent people. One man, that sadly had access to very dangerous weapons.

Everyone thinks I'm against guns. I'm not. If you want a weapon to protect yourself, I agree with that. I'm not against that. What I'm against is people owning weapons that can shoot 100 rounds a minute. Why? There's no need for that.
    My understanding is that the AR was left in his car so the fact that he had access to it really didn't matter. It still seems that they are reporting that he had used 2 handguns.

As far as "100 rounds a minute"... That is nothing. You can do that with most any handgun. So again, it wasn't an "automatic" that he had. An "Automatic" AR has a cyclic rate of about 750-800 rounds a minute... that is the military version that most citizens do not have. Do not confuse the rifles simply because of how they look.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 09:00 PM
    Thank you Alty. I have been doing some distracting to lower my emotions. There have been lots of good points being mentioned and I think it is helpful. I will not be reading the news though as that is counter productive for me at this point in time.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 09:01 PM
    I read Wondergirls post and thought how dare she blame video games. (I am a gamer).
    I have two gamer sons. My younger one started when he was 7 and grew up on D&D and Atari. He also painted miniature gaming figures for a few years (and may still do that for fun and relaxation). He is part of a gaming web site and writes for it, develops adventures the gamers can go on with their characters. I am in no way against gaming. And even violent games can be played and handled mentally/emotionally by most gamers. And part of my library cataloging job including helping our gamer staff member select, purchase, and catalog video games for patron use.

But this guy Adam Lanza couldn't handle life. So I wondered if he found his life in gaming.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    My understanding is that the AR was left in his car so the fact that he had access to it really didn't matter. It still seems that they are reporting that he had used 2 handguns.
    According to the M.E. Adam mostly used the Bushmaster .223 semi-automatic rifle at close range.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
    I just looked before and it's still confusing. I have to wonder if anyone really knows for sure.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 09:09 PM
    Mogrann, you are one amazing lady. This story is upsetting to all of us. What especially frustrates me is all the inaccurate information that has come out. I am hoping there will be a clear and truthful story that eventually emerges.

From CNN --

"Lanza was found dead next to three guns, a semi-automatic .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle and two pistols made by Glock and Sig Sauer, a law enforcement source told CNN. All belonged to his mother.

Carver, who performed autopsies on seven of the victims, said the wounds he knew about were caused by a "long weapon." Asked by a reporter whether the rifle was the primary weapon, he responded, 'Yes.' "
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post

As far as "100 rounds a minute"....That is nothing. You can do that with most any handgun. So again, it wasn't an "automatic" that he had. An "Automatic" AR has a cyclic rate of about 750-800 rounds a minute....that is the military version that most citizens do not have. Do not confuse the rifles simply because of how they look.
    My husband has two shotguns, one takes 3 bullets but can go up to 5, and takes around 2 minutes to reload. Not 100 shots a minute, but 5 at most, with time to reload. Plenty of time to get away if my husband goes postal. ;)

He also has another shotgun, one bullet, it's a breach. One shot, open, put another shot in, and so on.

He also has a semiautomatic 22, 10 shots per clip, but doesn't do a lot of damage.

Still, any of these weapons would protect us if someone decided to breach our home.

That's all I'm saying. I don't think anyone needs a weapon that can shoot 100 rounds in a minute. Not unless 100 people invade your home at one time.

Remember, I'm in Canada, we have very strict gun laws. We're also not in the news every few months because of another massacre. Just saying.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 09:46 PM
    Wondergirl I think we all are amazing on this site. Look at how many passionate people are here with all different thoughts and beliefs. All I see is respect and caring. Yes we disagree but no one is being aggressive, angry or bullying. This site has allowed me to disagree with others over small things and the world did not end. I firmly believe we can figure this out here how to start a movement for change. We are only a few people but as we change and others see what we are doing it will grow. It can only be for the better for the future.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
    I totally agree, mogrann.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
    On rifles, no background check is needed
    I suppose that is state dependent as well. My state requires background checks on all firearms aside from blackpowder.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 12:24 AM
    Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
    According to the M.E. Adam mostly used the Bushmaster .223 semi-automatic rifle at close range.
    That firearm is also a popular hunting rifle. It just looks military.

Now, the problem In my opinion, is not gun control or lack thereof, but the reduction in the mental health fields since the 70s (I think that was around the time). Many state mental health hospitals were closed and folks without good insurance were lacking in mental health assistance. Our mentally ill were pushed into the streets without counseling and/or medications. It is also, to many, a stigma to be mentally ill so many do not seek treatment but rather self medicate.

Cain beat his brother Able with a club and no one held the club responsible. You cannot hold the firearm responsible. It did not grow legs and go in and shoot those children. A mentally ill man did.

Another focus is on the media. The media turns these people into overnight celebrities in the eyes of other mentally disturbed people. Just look at the attention these people get from our media. Days and days of psychobabble by the news anchors. An ill person is typically going to kill themselves one way or another, but if they can go down with a celebrity type status, hel! Why not!

You have to hold evil responsible, not the gun. Cain was evil, not his club.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2012, 12:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Funny your misinterpretation of automatic weapons. No automatic weapon was used in this shooting. One must be in possession of a FFL level 3 at least, to possess an automatic weapon. That costs, if I remember correctly when we got our FFL,approximately $5,000 along with a much deeper background check.
    You see there is always someone who wants to focus on minute detail and split hairs. The fire rate of these "semi-automatic" weapons is not that much lower than automatic weapons, the real difference is magazine capacity, and the need to reload.. In this case the victims had multiple gun shot wounds indicating a high rate of fire, This person caused multiple gunshot wounds in twenty eight victims in a short space of time, a few minutes at most. So you know what, let semi-automatic hand guns and rifles be banned along with automatic weapons, there is no need for these weapons to be in the hands of the general community. You want to defend yourself, there are weapons which will give you protection without the need to blow holes in your victim, you can even get a six shot .22 magnum hand gun, more than enough fire power for the average person
    Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 12:47 AM
    Gah... Have I mentioned how Wiki is not a reliable source? I could write a wiki article about treating gunshot wounds with my little ER experience.

With that said, you may not need a permit to purchase, but you still have to pass a background check using the Form 4473.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ready Aim Fire - aka the GUN thread [ 468 Answers ]

Ok, Hope its OK to start this thread about gun discussion and practices. Debate or recommend or tell your favorite gun stories. Above all respect opinions and have fun!!

Gun control by fiat? [ 17 Answers ]

Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means. WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice. I'm sure that is "under the...

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

The Dems have a loaded gun and they know how to shoot themselves in the foot with it [ 7 Answers ]

Democrats want 'John Doe' provision cut - Nation/Politics - The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

"shoot me in the butt with a bb gun" - song on Wildboyz [ 0 Answers ]

My s.o. heard a song that he categorized as country western on the Wildboyz -- some of the lyrics are "shoot me in the butt with a bb gun" Can you tell me the title and artist of the song?

View more questions Search