Ask
    d milligan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
    How to install a110v 30 amp direct line receptacle for a syteam shower
    How to install a110v 30 amp direct line receptacle for a syteam shower
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
    This is a message board, not a search engine.
    You need to ask specific questions about what you are doing.

The basic answer is it is installed like any other electrical line.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
    After reading your question, I would assume that you know nothing about electricity.

Get an electrician to do the job for you. ELECTRIC CAN KILL.

Chuck
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Dec 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
    You need a 30A GFCI circuit breaker at the panel and the wire needs to be two 10AWG (hot and neutral) and a ground wire, going directly to the shower not shared with any other equipment.

That's a 30 amp circuit, but you should only load it up to 24 amps. I'm assuming the new equipment instructions are saying it requires a minimum circuit of 30 amps.

If the circuit is very long you may need to increase the wire size (but NOT the circuit breaker)

Dec 16, 2012, 06:15 AM
    That's a 30 amp circuit, but you should only load it up to 24 amps.
    Why is that?

Dec 16, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Why is that?
    My stalker feels a need to question anything I post.

Without quoting code sections (which is what he wants).

Loading a circuit at the upper limit of breaker capacity invites nuisance tripping. Say you have a brownout or low voltage condition caused by (whatever) from the supply side, a load drawing power will draw more amperage (volts and amps are inversely proportional relative to power) possibly causing a breaker to trip unnecessarily if loaded right up to the razor's edge.

Dec 16, 2012, 07:42 AM
    my stalker feels a need to question anything I post.
    Oh come on. Really? Try and be an adult just for a minute. It was a simple question.

The whole 80% circuit loading thing is a myth. There are plenty of times when a circuit by code must not be loaded beyond 80%, but it is not required in all cases and is not a problem.

In your extremely rare example above only inductive loads like motors would react like you say. Resistive loads, li8ke lighting and heat will react the opposite and will draw less.

Either way, maybe I was looking for code quotes. Thing is, you cannot quote what isn't there.

Don't take it personally when I question something I read here. I will always question something I feel, or know, is not right. Regardless of who posts it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2012, 07:47 AM
    In my opinion, if you can afford to purchase a steam shower, you have the financial means to hire an electrician to install the proper wiring.

Here is a statement from the installation manual for one steam unit:

All installation and service to be performed by qualified and licensed electricians

Shunttripper states that GFI protection is needed, not sure how that is determined, this manual does not require GFI protection, as neither does the National Electric Code. Some units may require GFI protection, only needed if the manufacturers instructions require. GFI protection. While GFI protection may be added protection, if the unit does not require , it may not operate properly if GFI protection is added when not required.

Shunttripper neglects to state the unit will need disconnecting means at the unit.

Hire a qualified electrician and plumber and have your specific unit installed and connected properly.

If you do not know how to install wiring, I am not sure how your going to simply install

Dec 16, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Oh come on. Really? Try and be an adult just for a minute. It was a simple question.

The whole 80% circuit loading thing is a myth. There are plenty of times when a circuit by code must not be loaded beyond 80%, but it is not required in all cases and is not a problem.

In your extremely rare example above only inductive loads like motors would react like you say. Resistive loads, li8ke lighting and heat will react the opposite and will draw less.

Either way, maybe I was looking for code quotes. Thing is, you cannot quote what isn't there.

Don't take it personally when I question something I read here. I will always question something I feel, or know, is not right. Regardless of who posts it.
    You weren't offering anything constructive, as far as growing up maybe you can apply that to yourself. 80% is a good rule of thumb to follow when dealing with laypeople who are just trying to solve problems in their homes.

This isn't the Electrical Theory Discussion Forum

Who made you the Electrical Police? As far as I know you aren't a Moderator on this Forum.

Get off my back

Dec 16, 2012, 07:59 AM
    You have issues. I am not on your back, nor am I the police. I will however question anything I see fit. Also, what does being a mod have to do with it? Does that give me more authority to question incorrect electrical advice?

If you state you think is a rule of thumb you should say so. You should not make it look like a fact. If you do then don't be surprised to get called on it, by me or anyone else. Pretty simple.

Dec 16, 2012, 08:06 AM
    You have issues. I am not on your back, nor am I the police. I will however question anything I see fit. Also, what does being a mod have to do with it? Does that give me more authority to question incorrect electrical advice?

If you state you think is a rule of thumb you should say so. You should not make it look like a fact. If you do then don't be surprised to get called on it, by me or anyone else. Pretty simple.
    Like I said, not constructive, and overreaching sense of your own importance. I'm trying to help people and you're trying to validate yourself

I don't suppose anyone has given you Editorial privileges here either.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Stan, if you need votes to be a "mod", you have mine...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install receptacle and 2 light switches from existing receptacle [ 2 Answers ]

I have an outside reeptacle, need to add another receptacle and 2 light switches

What adhesive is best to install Polystyrene tiles (Styron) in shower (direct water)? [ 0 Answers ]

What adhesive works best (and what's worst) to install Polystyrene tiles (Styron) in a shower in direct contact with water? What grout best/worst? And what adhesive remover works safely on those tiles so I can clean off all the old "gunk". THANKS very much for your response! Styrongreen

Install a single pole switch & grounding receptacle combination [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a single pole switch & grounding receptacle combination and would like to know how the wiring go's on the switch, maybe a schematic. I want the plug to be hot all the time. Thank you! Jim.

Do you install a 120v 15 or 20 amp receptacle ground up or ground down? [ 15 Answers ]

Does the code have any stipulations on ground up or ground down? If so Prove it. An I am not talking about local ordinances nor the authority having jurisdiction. Simply the NEC.

Build Shower Platform & Install Above Ground P-Trap in Basement Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site. I tried to find the answer in previous posts and did find some great info, but I still have some questions :) This is what I want to do: Install a corner shower with dimensions 36" in x 36" in the basement, build a platform, & add an above ground p-trap. ...

View more questions Search