Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 07:47 PM
    I agree with Tom and Enigma. I have posted my thoughts on the other thread.

I am saddened by this tragedy as I was Christmas shopping when I found out what had happened.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
    RIP all the people that lost their lives today in Connecticut. That's what this thread is about.

If that's not your intention, fine, I provided a link to discuss guns, and who should have them. If that's what you wish to discuss, then by all means, discuss it, but please have some respect and do so in the thread I posted about that issue. Here's the link;

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ll-722668.html

This thread is about coming together as a community, AMHD, to mourn those that died today, and to offer support for those that lost a loved one. To support each other. It's about love, not conflict.

To light a candle in memory of those that lost their lives today, and in support for the families that lost a child, or adult loved one today, please go to this link.

Group *conn* Candles - Light A Candle
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 09:22 PM
    My daughters school called us to let us know that the school was staying after so that those who could can get together on the court yard to pray for those children. We also got an automated message letting us know that our kids were safe, and explained the safety procedures, and that the kids would be practicing next week.

I have already added these families to our prayer chain at church, and I am sure we will be praying for them in church on Sunday.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 09:28 PM
    At church? Jennie, I thought you were Muslum?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
    ... almost 2 years ago...
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2012, 04:54 AM
    A voice is heard in Ramah, lamentation and bitter weeping, Rachel is weeping for her children; she refuses to be comforted for her children, because they are no more.Jeremiah 21:15
    Pray for the children;pray for the children who lost classmates, friends, family ;
    Pray for the parents and grandparents ;pray for the other teachers and staff at the school, pray for the first responders, the police and medical personnel, who march towards danger as others flee. Pray for the town of Newtown, Connecticut.
    Pray for our families ,commuities and nation .as we, like Rachel,
    Cry for the children who were senslessly murdered ,and are now in God's loving hands.

To send a sympathy card ,here is the address :
    Sandy Hook Elementary School, 12 enson Drive, Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 07:43 AM
    I was getting very overwhelmed after hearing of this tragedy and the one in China. My heart was breaking for those poor little babies (yes to me they were babies). The innocence stolen from the survivors as I am sure they will have life long issues from witnessing this. Christmas will never be the same for these children. My thoughts are everywhere and my heart is breaking. I have lit a candle and did some mindfulness exercises while looking at the candle on the site that Alty linked.
    I will leave you with this quote that has helped lessen my emotional mind during this time.
    "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world." -- Mister Rogers
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
    There are good people in this world. We need to thank them and cherish them. Then work on fixing this world. It starts with one person I am one person. I am sharing this in the hopes of inspiring others to help out and carry the torch to change the world.
    26 Moments That Restored Our Faith In Humanity This Year
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    There are good people in this world. We need to thank them and cherish them. Then work on fixing this world. It starts with one person I am one person. I am sharing this in the hopes of inspiring others to help out and carry the torch to change the world.
    26 Moments That Restored Our Faith In Humanity This Year
    This was very touching! Thank you for sharing.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
    That was nice to look at. Thanks for posting it.
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
    I can't stop watching the news about all of this. I keep thinking about these families, Christmas a little over a week away, and this is what they have to face, this will be their lives from here on out.

My husband hates reading or hearing about things like this. He can't handle it. He always changes the channel, or asks me not to talk about it. Even with the pet rescue work I do, the less he knows, the happier he is. He doesn't want to know about any of it, then he can pretend that it doesn't exist.

But this time he's listening. We were just watching a news program about this shooting, and he turned to me, tears in his eyes, and said "I can't imagine. All of those kids were younger than Sydney, and she's only 10. Those families, their loss, how can they even hope to deal with it? I know I wouldn't be able to. I can lose my dad, and my mom and survive, we both did, I can even lose you and survive, it would be hard, but I could do it. But to lose a child? That would kill me".

I feel the same way.

Tomber, thank you for posting the address where we can send our condolences.

I want to apologize to everyone for yesterday. I was upset. I started this thread as a memorial for those that passed, and it turned into something far different, something I had hoped to avoid, and I didn't handle it well.

I'll blame it on emotion, and Christmas stress. I don't even have my tree up yet, and I work full time next week. I haven't started my Christmas shopping! I'm a bit tense. :(

But that's really no excuse for any of what I said yesterday, and I apologize. I do thank you all for keeping with the tone of this thread. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 06:51 PM
    The details continue to change and vary, depending on which channel you watch.

What bothers me is Monday and after. Will these children go to school somewhere? Or will it be an early Christmas vacation? If I had my say, I'd tear down that school building. How horrible it would be to go back to those rooms and remember every day what had happened there. Or will they be able to turn it into a memorial and deal with it?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The details continue to change and vary, depending on which channel you watch.

What bothers me is Monday and after. Will these children go to school somewhere? Or will it be an early Christmas vacation? If I had my say, I'd tear down that school building. How horrible it would be to go back to those rooms and remember every day what had happened there. Or will they be able to turn it into a memorial and deal with it?
    I agree with you knock it down so no one has to go through the trauma of remembering. Turn the site into a memorial but not the buildings
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:19 PM
    I agree as well. I know that as a parent, I can't imagine sending my children back to a school where something like this happened. I also can't imagine that any children would even be showing up for school on Monday, if they were to open it then. I know I wouldn't be sending my kids.

As far as I know it's still a crime scene, so I doubt they'll be opening their doors on Monday. The kids will likely get an early Christmas break, or be sent to a different school for the rest of the week. That's just a guess, not something I've heard on the news.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
    Tear it down and let nature cover it so that it is forever gone.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2012, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, as I said earlier this has stirred strong emotions in me, but the issue really is about right to life, everyone has that right and it should be protected more strongly than any other right. I too live in a society where we don't need to reach for a gun to solve our problems, where we cannot own assault weapons, we are a peaceful society. The quality of our liberty is not strained. It is true criminals have guns and shoot people, but the ordinary citizen rarely does and oddly enough what we find is the criminals shoot at each other and generally leave the rest of us alone.

What society must do is ensure that such events cannot take place again, that requires strong action and strong will, in fact it requires courage, the innocents must be protected and not only from guns but from predators too. There should be a memorial to these kids in a form that ensures it cannot happen again
    I'm appalled that you couldn't give us two posts to mourn the loss and honor the victims before lecturing us on gun control, that's my first thought.

My second thought is you really live in a unique place if the criminals don't prey on the innocents, I find that very difficult to believe. In fact, I hear you have a bit of problem with human trafficking, most likely for the sex industry. Mind your own house.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I'm appalled that you couldn't give us two posts to mourn the loss and honor the victims before lecturing us on gun control, that's my first thought.

My second thought is you really live in a unique place if the criminals don't prey on the innocents, I find that very difficult to believe. In fact, I hear you have a bit of problem with human trafficking, most likely for the sex industry. Mind your own house.
    Ok speech I'm not trying to make this about gun control but you cannot ignore the fact that the root of this tragedy lies in an attitude towards guns which allows this violence to occur. This is about protecting the innocents, your own President has said as much and during the mourning. I think he is gathering the courage it will take to provide a true memorial to those who died. You may not like the outcome

I live in a place which has been made a better place by the removal of these weapons from society because the community was courageous. BY the way in this society a weapon may not be discharged within one mile of a dwelling. I'm sure the residents of Newtown would like that privilige .You think that because these events happened at a distance, the impact cannot be felt. They are felt and felt strongly because of events in my own life, they stir up dreadfull memories and I have no doubt it is so for many, I have said as much before. Don't think I don't feel for the parents of those children.

As far as our problems are concerned with boat people and human trafficking, these people as as much a victim as those who died in Connecticut. Hundreds die on the journey and I note you show little concern. They don't come here to be exploited by the sex industry, but because they see a fair society where among other things they will not suffer the tyranny of the gun. They risk their lives to get to a place which is peaceful and offers opportunity
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
    BY the way in this society a weapon may not be discharged within one mile of a dwelling. I'm sure the residents of Newtown would like that privilige
    That's just silly. There's a law that says a weapon cannot be discharged within one mile of a dwelling... very nice. And you're saying had this law been in place in CT that all would have been OK?

Did you also know there is a law that a weapon cannot be discharged in a school?. no, really... it's true. There's also a law that says you can't just shoot innocent people... really, there is.

So talk all you want about your great 1 mile law, it is meaningless.

But again... this thread is not the place for this.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Ok speech I'm not trying to make this about gun control but you cannot ignore the fact that the root of this tragedy lies in an attitude towards guns which allows this violence to occur. This is about protecting the innocents, your own President has said as much and during the mourning. I think he is gathering the courage it will take to provide a true memorial to those who died. You may not like the outcome
    Nonsense. You can't really believe that people hellbent on violence aren't going to accomplish their evil act if you take guns away, and if you do it will only drive the trade underground. If some violent dude tries to prey on my wife in a parking lot the government isn't going to be able to protect her, but she damn sure has a chance protect herself. It's not a gun issue Clete, it's a culture issue, it's a mental health issue, it's a heart issue. When someone says they aren't surprised this guy did it, that's your first clue that someone should have intervened.

As far as our problems are concerned with boat people and human trafficking, these people as as much a victim as those who died in Connecticut. Hundreds die on the journey and I note you show little concern. They don't come here to be exploited by the sex industry, but because they see a fair society where among other things they will not suffer the tyranny of the gun. They risk their lives to get to a place which is peaceful and offers opportunity
    First of all, mentioning you have a human trafficking problem to deal with IS showing concern. I could certainly dispute the notion that they aren't victims of the sex trade but again, this was to be a thread about the victims, not your self-righteous pontificating.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
    Can this be all moved to the other thread? Lets keep this one only about the victims and us supporting them from afar. The other thread is the one to debate in PLEASE!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What fruits grow in Connecticut [ 1 Answers ]

What fruits grow in Connecticut and Thailand?

Abandoned in Connecticut! [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Connecticut and have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. Her biological father has not had any contact with her since she was 5 months old. My husband has raised her since she was about 6 months old he is all she knows as her "daddy". In the fall she is starting preschool. I wanted to see if I...

Shooting at Cleveland School [ 37 Answers ]

How does a 14 year old get his hands on a gun, where were the parents of this children after he was suspended? WHy did the parents have the gun in a safe place away from the child? Gun safe is very important and I use only safe storage of any weapons away from children, I personally blame the...

View more questions Search