Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnVANDENBERG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Failed Ontario Emission Test
    I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup, 22RE I4 engine with EFI. 300Km... Good compression,no oil burning, 5 speed manual.
    FAILED HC Test limit 66ppm reading 209... PASSED HC Curb Idle Test limit 200/ 129
    FAILED CO% limit 0.37 reading 8.34... PASSED CO% Curb idle limit1.00/0.18
    PASSED NO limit 968 reading 36... N/A
    RPM @ 2525... RPM @ 867
    Dilution 17.4... 10.3
    These results seem to indicate a very rich mixture at higher RPMs. Prior to testing I did a complete tune up including new NGK Iridium plugs (correctly gapped), wires, distributor cap and rotor, PCV valve, air and fuel filters. I set the timing to specs (with Dianogtic terminals jumped). I changed the oil (synthetic) and filter. The exhaust system was shot, so I replaced the Cat and muffler with new Magna Flow low restriction (2 1/2") parts. I reused the original front pipe with the O2 sensor in it... a header and new induction system will follow when I have $$$$. I did not adjust the valves as they are not noisey.
    Since the test I have tested everything I can think of that would give high HCs and COs.
    This truck uses an Air Suction system (Passive/Pulse air system, not an air pump)... it is working properly.
    I've tested the Coolant Temperature Sensor both in the truck and on the bench... it's OK.
    I've tested the vacuum switching valve for the high temperature line pressure up system... OK.
    The fuel pressure regulator seems to be working properly, but I don't have a gauge..
    The Dash Pot filter is clean and it works OK.
    There are no codes stored in the ECM. It is not an OBD-II system.
    When I tested the O2 Sensor initially (after warm up) I was getting readings of 150-200mV @ idle, 800-900mV @ 2500 RPMs. Later it jumped to 500-600mV & 900-1400mV..
    My Haynes Emissions Manual says to watch for a voltage drop when you disconnect a vacuum line(too lean).. it did, and a voltage increase when propane is added through a vacuum line(too rich).. it did.
    Do you think the O2 Sensor ($200) is Boffed?. or is the ECM not adjusting the fuel mixture?. or could the Magna Flow Cat be at fault?. too low back pressure maybe?
    HELP! John.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 02:51 AM
    So, you truck failed the emission test and you can't get you plate stickers. Now you have to have repairs done and a new emission test if you want to drive it. I don't see the point of your question.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 07:46 AM
    . Add Shell Regane or Chevron Techron to the tank, in order to clean throttle body, valves, and pistons. This can definitely help lower emissions.
    . Replace oxygen sensor. 300 km is an awful long time for an oxygen sensor to keep working properly.
    . Consider replacing Iridium plugs with the same plug brand and number that came in the truck.
    . It's hard to believe you can't test for codes.
    . Did you set idle rpm to specs, before checking timing?
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Put a new o2 sensor in it. They're only good for 80,000 miles. Period!
    hiperf402 Posts: 106, Reputation: -1

Mar 18, 2007, 07:55 PM
    HC is normally caused by unburned fuel. If it misses a little it will raise HC. HC is the rich indicator and CO is the lean indicator. Normally both don't show up failing together unless the cat is bad. You may have the wrong cat installed(Not enough catalyst) for your application. In the states, you can't replace a California cat with a federal for the same reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 Honda Civic passed emissions test but failed MIL/Check Engine light [ 2 Answers ]

My 2000 Honda Civic EX had a smog test and it passed the emissions but failed the engine computer test, so they say. They told me to drive the car 30 to 40 miles so that the computer would reset. Sounds a bit strange to me to have to drive that many miles to reset the car computer after the...

Aircraft emission [ 6 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

Failed urine test on community corrections [ 3 Answers ]

I took a drug test for them Thursday. They said I showed positive for benzo. I have not took any drugs. I just got out of the substance abuse program in December. Was in jail for 6 months doing this program. I sure don't want to go back. I take valerian root at night to help sleep. I have read that...

Eye Test Failed [ 1 Answers ]

Ohio please I failed the eye test when I went to get my license renewed, they took my license but gave me a paper with driving rights until I can get new glasses and retake the test or until my birthday 2/27. We have had horrible weather here and I finally was able to get my eye test and new...

View more questions Search