Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistydawn37830 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2012, 08:25 AM
    Crowns before a root canal procedure
    I'm getting 3 root canals in a few weeks and I am pretty nervous. My dentist said that she would have to put a crown on my tooth BEFORE the root canal? Is that normal? Is it the same as the crown she's going to put on AFTER the root canal? (I am paying for this out of my pocket with no insurance) So just want to make sure that she isn't trying to get more cash by putting a crown on twice?

Thank You for your opinions...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
    No dentist has ever put a crown, temporary or permanent, on my tooth before starting a root canal. Did the dentist say why?
    rrathk1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2013, 03:07 PM
    Well, tough to say without seeing the case/radiographs, etc but here is my two cents: 99.99999 times out of 100, dentists will do the root canal before the crown because we have to open the tooth to get into the canals. Why put on a brand new crown just to cut a hole in it to do the root canal? The most likely reason this particular dentist is doing this is because he doesn't think you are going to come back after the root canals are done. A lot of patients will have the root canals done, and after they are out of pain, drop off the face of the earth, until something else starts bothering them. What your dentist will most likely do is this: cut the tooth for the crown, bill you for it, put a temporary crown on, do the root canal, cement the permanent crown, that way, he gets his money for both the root canal and the crown. Enjoy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My two year old needs a root canal and crowns, is anestesia safe for a two year old? [ 10 Answers ]

:confused:my two year old is needing a root canal and four crowns on her front teeth but the part I am worried about is they said she would have to be put to sleep. I am very worried about this, is it even safe for a child this young? What are the risks? She doesn't have any breathing problems...

First part of the root canal to kill the root... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I just need a bit of advice. Today I had the first part of my root canal done today, it was supposed to be the whole thing but the root of the tooth was badly infected therefore the anesthetic did not numb the nerve (as its PH sensitive and the infection was quite acidic),so it only went...

My 4 year old getting a root canal and crowns [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering is it safe for my 4 year old to get crowns and a root canal?

Why are my crowns turning grey after a root canal 1 month ago? [ 1 Answers ]

The root canal and crowns I had one month ago are beginning to turn grey. They are also very tender and after I floss they really hurt.

Are crowns a necessity for root canals [ 2 Answers ]

I had a root canal done about 3 weeks ago and today I found out that my dentist wants to put a cown on it. I an asking if this is truly needed for the cost is over $500 and I just paid $450 for the root canal.

View more questions Search