Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raiderman Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
    I can't go on like this anymore
    I'm a 58 year old male living alone, no wife or girlfriend, no kids, no friends. I do work but just barely able to function. I guess I have some severe social anxiety. I've tried every drug and psychotherapy there is. None of them help. What do I do? The pain is unbearable.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
    If you could have one wish, what would it be?

Dec 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
    To be normal
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 05:28 PM
    And what is your definition of normal?

Dec 12, 2012, 05:32 PM
    Not suffering from anxiety, depression, and loneliness. To feel alive and have some peace and happiness. To have a reason to live and not feel empty inside.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
    Not suffering from anxiety, depression, and loneliness. To feel alive and have some peace and happiness. To have a reason to live and not feel empty inside.
    How many therapists have you seen? Have you taken any antidepressants or other meds? If so, for how long?

Dec 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
    I'm not sure but just about every AD and maybe a half dozen therapist since I was 13. The only thing that helps a bit is Xanax and that's just to help me sleep.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Why didn't the therapist route work?

Did they give you tools to break out of your shyness and to feel better about yourself?

What is the longest you stuck with a therapist?

Dec 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Ii've been seeing the current one for about 7 years. He's a nice guy but he hasn't told me anything I don't already know. I've read all the self help books too. Maybe yoga or meditation is the next step. That's about the only thing I haven't tried.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
    The therapist isn't supposed to tell you stuff. That's not how therapy works.

Seven years is five years too long. What are his credentials and how often do you see him for how long per session?

Dec 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
    He's a psychologist. I see him an hour a week.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 10:47 PM
    He's a psychologist. I see him an hour a week.
    Does he work with you to come up with practical things to do, challenges, to jumpstart getting back into life? Do you ever have homework?

Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
    He dies some of that. He encourages me to try Internet dating and things like that but no homework. He's more insight oriented than cognitive behavioral. I tried CBT years ago when I volunteered for a study combining Paxil with CBT. I didn't find it helpful.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 PM
    He dies some of that. He encourages me to try Internet dating and things like that but no homework. He's more insight oriented than cognitive behavioral. I tried CBT years ago when I volunteered for a study combining Paxil with CBT. I didn't find it helpful.
    I've used it a lot with good success. Would you be willing to give it another try?

What didn't you like about it?

Dec 12, 2012, 11:15 PM
    It wasn't that I didn't like it. I just didn't find it helpful. But I'm willing to try anything.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 PM
    It wasn't that I didn't like it. I just didn't find it helpful. But I'm willing to try anything.
    Did you have to report back at the next session?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
    Tell me briefly what you do at work, how many people there are with you, and how long you've worked there.

Dec 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
    No, there was no reporting back. They had some sessions where they simulated interviews and other situations. I'm a research analyst at a hospital and I've been there about one and a half years. There are about 25 people in my department. They are nice to me but I feel that I don't fully participate and mostly hide in my cubicle.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Do you hate any kind of changes in your life, even with how the grocery store is arranged?

Do you really prefer working or even being alone, that you are your own best company? And you can always find things to do?

Were you ever into playinng sports? Would you consider yourself clumsy sometimes?

Dec 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Definitely fearful of change. Tried sports as a kid but was awkward and clumsy at it. I don't like being alone but just not comfortable ever, even by myself. My heart is always racing and always anxious even when there is no reason to be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cant take anymore of this!! [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help my mum and 2 little brothers hate me they always turn against me I feel lonely I'm always seen as the so-called "BAD ONE" nothing I do is right I get shouted at everyday, my mum is depressed and ill so I help her and get shouted at she falls asleep with cigarettes because of her...

Not sure what to do anymore [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 21 years old, and I'm unemployed. My family's not there for me, except for my father (bare minimum). I've been through a lot of mental stresses, and It's taken a huge toll on me. I don't feel the same anymore, and my relationship's about to fail. I really care a lot about this man, and I don't...

I Can't Take it Anymore! [ 7 Answers ]

Ok So I can't take it anymore! My Boyfriends mother is out of her mind!! I can't even really explain it. She is always the victim and she never does any wrong! FOr example today I went to pick up my daughter she first yells at me through the door then she brings my daughter out and has her shoes...

I can't take it anymore! [ 11 Answers ]

My life is very complicated I have no one to talk too about my problems, my worries. My mother does not talk to me does not want to talk to me. She just wants to tell me to do stuff and then she is done with me. I wish I had someone to talk to that accually cared about the way I feel or what...

View more questions Search