Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 10:32 AM
    Are you really quite smart and have a specialty area, such as remembering historical dates or odd facts and trivia or are good with numbers/math? (The research work makes me wonder.)

Has anyone ever criticized or commented on your maybe odd-ball or off-beat sense of humor?

If it's something you absolutely love doing, you have no problem focusing--and can stick with it for hours at a time with no interruption--and hate it if interrupted?

(Please be patient with me. I am asking all this for a reason.)
    Raiderman Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
    I know the reason. I'm familiar with Asperger syndrome and I don't have those symptoms. Except maybe being good at odd facts and trivia but not the other stuff. I've met people with those symptoms and it doesn't describe me. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
    I know the reason. I'm familiar with Asperger syndrome and I don't have those symptoms. Except maybe being good at odd facts and trivia but not the other stuff. I've met people with those symptoms and it doesn't describe me. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me.
    There is Asperger's and there is Asperger's. The spectrum is huge. Have you ever taken a test?

And Asperger's would not be a judgment but a new way of figuring out how to cope. (P.S. My husband has Asperger's and has functioned very well throughout his 67 years, but does have some quirks including the social thing.)

Dec 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
    No, no one gave me a test or even suggested that there is one. Do you have one in mind? I can ask my psychologist. I had a co-worker who married a guy with Asperger's. I met him and he's very functional though it's obvious he has it. They are very happy together. Would my treatment be different if I did have it? I really don't think so based upon what I read about it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
    No, no one gave me a test or even suggested that there is one. Do you have one in mind? I can ask my psychologist. I had a co-worker who married a guy with Asperger's. I met him and he's very functional though it's obvious he has it. They are very happy together. Would my treatment be different if I did have it? I really don't think so based upon what I read about it.
    I would do a lot of CBT stuff with you and give you lots of "homework" and make you accountable to me. :) Three years ago I had a client who came to me saying exactly what you are saying here. He and I had a great time working through this!

Here's a good outline of possible characteristics --

Martha Kate Downey - List of Characteristics

Dr. Amen had a terrific online AS test, but it seems to not be there any longer. How about this one? (I haven't taken this one myself. ***ADDED*** Now I have. :))

Aspie-quiz

You very possibly are a candidate for Mensa, by the way.

Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
    I took a look at the website and still don't think AS describes me. I can't believe someone like me would have a great time with CBT. What are some examples of homework and how was he able to get over the anxiety it must have caused? I don't have any interest in joining Mensa though I think I qualify.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Did you take the test?

Dec 13, 2012, 01:33 PM
    I haven't taken it yet. But I looked at the symptoms on the first website and I don't have most of them. I definitely have some kind of anxiety disorder, mostly in social situations (e.g. scared to death of public speaking), some agoraphobia (I have difficulty traveling by myself far from home), maybe some OCD, and secondary depression. I know that's self diagnosis, but no psychologist seems to do diagnostic testing anymore. Well, my current one actually gave me a Rorschach and TAT (he's old school - 88 years old). He told me he didn't see anything alarming.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
    When you have nothing to do, please take the test.

Where are you as to state and city?

You're such a good writer. Would you write something for the site blog? I'm the managing editor, and it definitely need some new juice. 200-800 or so words?

Dec 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
    I will. It's a long test. I live in New York City (born in Brooklyn and now in Queens). Luckily not personally affected by Sandy, but disturbed by the devastation I've seen in other neighborhoods. Would you believe I have a Ph.D. in psychology? I wanted to find out what's wrong with me. Never found out. The DSM manual at the time didn't even have SAD. My specialty is applied research and evaluation. What do you want me to write about? Maybe I would if I could get some good advice.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
    Would you believe I have a Ph.D. in psychology? I wanted to find out what's wrong with me. Never found out. The DSM manual at the time didn't even have SAD. My specialty is applied research and evaluation. What do you want me to write about? Maybe I would if I could get some good advice.
    I'll bet you deal with stats a lot.

What would you like to write about? I'm game for anything (not x-rated).

Dec 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
    I'd write about why I'm miserable and what I can do about. That's all I can think about at the moment.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Maybe throw in one positive somewhere (for me?)?

That works for me. You can post it on the Blog itself and I will handle it from there. :)

Dec 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
    Do I post it in question form? Will people reply to me with advice? I will take the test and tell you the results later.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Do I post it in question form? Will people reply to me with advice? I will take the test and tell you the results later.
    You can do anything you want. Make a question for a title if you wish--or not. I can edit anything that doesn't look right (but will check with you first). I can leave it open for comments, or have you also put it onto one of the boards for more views.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Check this to find your score(s) --

Qualifying test scores - American Mensa, Ltd.

Dec 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
    I want to ask you something else. For the first time I'm actually thinking of going to a psychiatric facility as an inpatient. Ironically I work for one if the largest healthcare systems in the US and our psych facility just opened a beautiful new building. It's a lot nicer than where I live. I used to think inpatient was for people who want to harm themselves or others. I'm not suicidal only because I'm too much of a coward to do it. Is it something I should consider? I mean checking myself in, not suicide.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
    I want to ask you something else. For the first time I'm actually thinking of going to a psychiatric facility as an inpatient. Ironically I work for one if the largest healthcare systems in the US and our psych facility just opened a beautiful new building. It's a lot nicer than where I live. I used to think inpatient was for people who want to harm themselves or others. I'm not suicidal only because I'm too much of a coward to do it. Is it something I should consider? I mean checking myself in, not suicide.
    Ha, ha -- you're funny!

Well, you might need a psychiatrist's okay to get in. Could you obtain that?

You also might need a diagnosis first, but that should be easy to get nowadays. (EVERYone wants or wants to give a diagnosis, it seems.) Want me to sniff around for a clinic where you could be tested, or I'm betting you could do that yourself, probably right where you work.

You also would want to find out what programs are offered to inpatients and would they (the programs, but maybe also the other patients?) help you function better. Or would they be something you could get "on the outside."

Dec 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
    I'm not sue if NY requires a psychiatrist OK. It depends on the state. I would Google it but I'm in small claims court now and it doesn't work here. I got engaged last Feb to someone totally inappropriate for me and she threw out the ring when we broke up. I'm suing her.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
    I found a site that says you will get balanced and nutritious meals. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cant take anymore of this!! [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help my mum and 2 little brothers hate me they always turn against me I feel lonely I'm always seen as the so-called "BAD ONE" nothing I do is right I get shouted at everyday, my mum is depressed and ill so I help her and get shouted at she falls asleep with cigarettes because of her...

Not sure what to do anymore [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 21 years old, and I'm unemployed. My family's not there for me, except for my father (bare minimum). I've been through a lot of mental stresses, and It's taken a huge toll on me. I don't feel the same anymore, and my relationship's about to fail. I really care a lot about this man, and I don't...

I Can't Take it Anymore! [ 7 Answers ]

Ok So I can't take it anymore! My Boyfriends mother is out of her mind!! I can't even really explain it. She is always the victim and she never does any wrong! FOr example today I went to pick up my daughter she first yells at me through the door then she brings my daughter out and has her shoes...

I can't take it anymore! [ 11 Answers ]

My life is very complicated I have no one to talk too about my problems, my worries. My mother does not talk to me does not want to talk to me. She just wants to tell me to do stuff and then she is done with me. I wish I had someone to talk to that accually cared about the way I feel or what...

View more questions Search