Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbottorff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Ask question to hr professional
    I have just been informed by my employer that they incorrectly setup my healthcare deductions at the beginning of the year and that I will owe a sum of money to cover these underpayments.

Can they leagally do this? It seems to me that there should be some recourse.

Thx
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Yes they can. Did you notice a difference in the health insurance deductions from the previous year?

We had a similar situation at my company. Somehow a couple of employees were not deducted for several months. They didn't report the problem either.

Your employer can certainly do this as you are responsible for checking your paystub for accuracy. They should give you time to pay payback the amount owed though.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
    I would agree under certain questions they should be able to answer. I am asuming you are not a new employee. They should be able to show you what they paid out for your plan and be able to show other employees with the same plan paying a higher amount.
    rbottorff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2012, 08:56 AM
    The problem I have with this is that this was a completely new healthcare program based on the company splitting off from another parent company so I would not have seen a difference. I completely agree it is up to the individual to monitor and bring up obvious errors.
    The HR department has admitted that they iput the information incorrectly and that this was the cause of the under funded account balance and now they are going to bill the employees for this difference. Not quite sure if this will be done over time or not but if I were to leave the company I'm certain they would deduct this from my last check or something like that.

Thx for the replies.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
    That's a bummer. But they can legally collect it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can do other professional course or not... [ 1 Answers ]

M in cwa finals so is it permisssible to do cs along with it.. Please help

What is your professional fee for responding to a tax question? [ 3 Answers ]

What is your professional fee for responding to a tax question?

Looking for a professional [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have major family and personal problems in my life right now, and I don't want to share it on a nonsecure website. If there is anyone that you guys know that I could talk to , to help me sort through my life, who is a certifiable professional, It would really really be great. Thank...

How Can be a professional [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Shnaice. I am 14 years old going to the 9th grade. I want to become a pro in singing because this always been my dream I just don't know where to start. I like the idea of American Idol but I don't want to compete I want to make it another way. I'm trying to think of a good...

Windows XP Professional Question [ 6 Answers ]

I have Windows XP Professional, and I was just wondering if there is a way where I can open up imesh, or winmx to download songs and then log out, but the songs will keep downloading while someone else s on the computer? Thanks.

View more questions Search