Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beingscrewed Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 09:52 PM
    How much should I charge for babysitting?
    I recently stared babysitting my friends 18 mo old boy for 3 hrs a day. I really helped her out of a jam, because her other babysitter bailed. So far she said she would pay me whatever tips she made in that time. (She's a Barista) Every thing is working well so she's going to have me be her regular babysitter, so tomorrow we are going to discuss payment and schedules. So far she has paid a total of $70. I have watched him for 22 1/2 hrs. I was thinking I would charge $2 an hr. So I would actually owe her 12 1/2 hrs before I asked to be paid again. I know she only makes $8 hr plus tips, so that's why I was only going to charge $2 hr. Does this sound fair? I have never babysat before, and anyone that I had babysit my son I usually just gave tham $20 for 5-8 hrs.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 10:19 PM
    In my opinion, you don't owe her anything because she agreed to pay you whateter tips she made until she asked you to become her regular babysitter and will be discussing payments and schedules. If she was able to make $70 in tips for the 22.5 hours that you babysat for, then I don't think you need to worry too much about what her income is, because with her hourly rate of pay plus the tips she would have earned over $11.00 an hour. I think, if you are being kind enough to keep your rates relatively low, $4.00/hr. is reasonable, but you could go as low as $3.75. I haven't babysat for three years but I was getting $6.00 an hour for part time sitting (less than 30 hours a week). Of course, it depends upon where you live, too. If you live in a small town, then you should keep your rates a bit lower. I am being told that the present rates where I live are between 4 and 8 dollars an hour (I am in a relatively small community) depending upon hours, meals, snacks and age of child. Younger children generally command higher rates due to requiring more one on one time.

Hope this helps...

Didi
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 08:32 AM
    $2 per hour is quite fair ; more than fair.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2007, 08:39 AM
    For an 18 mo old $2/hr is very low. It might be fine for a 4-5 yr old, but 18 mo usually means diapers.

I also agree that you don't owe her any time. I woul be more inclined to suggest $4/hr and negotiate back to $3.
    mathqueen Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2007, 09:46 AM
    I think that you should charge her what youy charged your babysitter, but if it's that you need the money charge her the $2, but it is a little child so you do have to clean up after him a lot maybe you should charge her $3-$4 . If it was me I would charge between $2 and $4. hope it helps!!
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Mar 16, 2007, 10:00 AM
    You don't owe her for the monies already paid, that is done. $2 an hour is cheap and you could charge her more, but you have to take other things into consideration too. She is your friend and you know she doesn't really have the money for too much, so be reasonable to yourself and her. If you are okay with $2 an hour then do it, that would be a great deal for her! But let her know that is from here on out not for services done rendered!

Good for you helping a friend! The world needs more people to help others out and be reasonable!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
    I'm in Canada and the going rate is $5/hour.
    beingscrewed Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Thank you all for your advice. I asked her if 3$ an hour was all right, she said OK. She still keeps giving me all her tip money for the time I babysit though, and I'm getting more than 3$ an hour! I guess I'll just use the extra $ for some treats for the little cutie:)
    Thanks Again!!
    imthebest101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beingscrewed
    I recently stared babysitting my friends 18 mo old boy for 3 hrs a day. I really helped her out of a jam, because her other babysitter bailed. So far she said she would pay me whatever tips she made in that time. (She's a Barista) Every thing is working well so she's going to have me be her regular babysitter, so tomorrow we are going to discuss payment and schedules. So far she has paid a total of $70. I have watched him for 22 1/2 hrs. I was thinking I would charge $2 an hr. So I would actually owe her 12 1/2 hrs before I asked to be paid again. I know she only makes $8 hr plus tips, so thats why I was only going to charge $2 hr. Does this sound fair? I have never babysat before, and anyone that I had babysit my son I usually just gave tham $20 for 5-8 hrs.
    Yes!I think that is fair considering her job however I charge 10.00 an hour.
    He_comes_with_baggage Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 08:41 PM
    I baby sit for 4 hours a week an I get 25 bucks for the four hors the child is 6 but I've been watching him since he was 3 an my pay has stayed the same
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 30, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Well here 5-10 an hour is normal. Sometimes they just have a certain amount a week they pay. You watch him 3 hours a day 5 days a week? I mean do you have to support yourself in any way with this money? If you have the time and $45 a week is enough for you then I guess that is OK! I think I would ask for $60 a week and leave it at that!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
    I give $5 an hour most of the time.

though id probably give out 5 times that for a date out with my wife. And when I mean date I mean a hotel room with my wife. =)

but don't tell the babysitter.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 30, 2007, 10:34 PM
    Charging only $2. pr hr is only setting yourself up for anger, feeling used, frustration. There may be a part of you that wants to help her (as a friend) however by undercharging she gets the idea that care for her child should be this price. I would say $4 is fair and would still allow you to not feel "screwed". Be careful to talk things out and set a fair price. Money situations with friends can easily turn negative. It is possible to get a fair amount without overstressing your friends budget. Remember, someone else would likely cause much more. Cathy
    brynniebean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 01:38 PM
    I was a nanny for 1 year, and have also been a regular babysitter, an on call babysitter and I am now a mom of a 9 month old. For a child of 18 months you should be charging at least $3.50 per hour. If it helps call local daycares and ask what they would charge and use that as a starting point. Where I live daycares charge at least $400 per month. So $100 per week. So maybe you should charge $50-$65 per week. And you definitely owe nothing from the previous babysitting. You can never owe hours. When I was a nanny they did that to me and it was ridiculous.
    cpiggy11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 09:12 PM
    I think that it depends how long you'll be babysitting. If your sitting for 3-4 hours then about $6-$7 an hour
    cristinefry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 01:29 AM

All of your answers were very helpful. Thank you.
    ruby_holler Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
    Yes I think that it's maybe a little too low of an amount but then again you have to take in consideration her job and what she makes but maybe you should go for 3-4 dollars I'm sure she'd be okay with that
    ruby_holler Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 10:46 AM

Yes I think its cool of you but maybe you should charge 3-4 dollars that's reasonable
    amberjustin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 01:40 PM

I think you should be happy with what you get for watching the child I get 1.50 an hour per kid I watch and you get 25 bucks your lucky and 25 bucks is a lot so I would just take the money and be thankful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Babysitting [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me how old a child has to be to legally babysit in Ontario

Charge of? [ 1 Answers ]

On one of my credit report one credit card said charge of? What does that mean?

Babysitting Trouble [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so I'm babysitting this 6-7 minth old little boy and he looked so tired when he was drinking his bottle... now I put him in his crib and he doesn't seem tired... what do I do?? Do I get him.. or let him cry!:confused:

Under Or Over Charge! [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Know If The System Under Or Over Charge Without Using The Gauge.

View more questions Search