Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brent506 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Breaking a lease for medical reasons
    Our mother in law is being put in disability by her doctor. She is being forced to leave her job and will soon require continuous care. For this reason, we are moving her from Philadelphia to Oregon. Her lease runs through August. She approached management with this and they want her to pay 4 months rent. She is able to pay through May. Can a lease be broken for documented medical disablities in PA and what are the guidelines. Thanks.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Mar 15, 2007, 04:34 AM
    There is no automatic "get out of lease for disability"... she needs to talk to her landlord and advise him/her of her plans and work on options that may be available to her under her lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Some options are to sublet or find a replacement tenant on your own. There is a possibility of getting out due to a disability but it depends on the nature. For example, if she lived on the second floor of a walkup and could no longer climb stairs, a housing court might grant a termination.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 15, 2007, 08:01 AM
    There is no easy way out of a legally signed document. She can always attempt to sublet the apartment, or find a new one year tenant. If you go to court to ask out of the lease, because she is on a second floor, the judge may ask that she be moved to a first floor... so that may not solve your problem. Talk to the landlord about a reasonable buy out.

Here is another off the wall answer: Just leave. She isn't going back to work, her only income will be disability which can't be attached, she is going to be out of state and for all practical purposes pretty much out of the reach of the landlord. I can't see that the one line of bad credit on her report would make any difference to anything really important to her. To bad the landlord wasn't a little more compassionate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Advocate makes a good point. I would still give sufficient notice and expect to forfeit the security deposit. But otherwise I doubt if the ll will pursue it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease due to medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Breaking rental lease for medical reasons in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was recently diagnosed with cancer and wants to be near his family in Key West, Fl. Our landlord in St. Petersburg said we will loose our security and have to pay our rent until the lease is over in July if we give 30 days notice. This is stated in the lease, however isn't there anyway...

Breaking lease due to medical condition [ 13 Answers ]

I need to know if a elderly couple can get out of a reining lease due to a medical condition that does not allow or permit one to climb the inside stairs. They have a doctors write up stating such activity would endanger their health. They are both being put in assisted living and are OK giving...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 2 Answers ]

I am an elderly 82-year-old woman who needs to move out of my third-floor apartment for medical reasons. Is there a way to break a lease without penalty because of this? I have been a tenant of the apartment complex for 23 years.

View more questions Search