Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mom2Feebs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Maytag Performa Dryer, Hot But Not Drying
    We have a 10 year old Maytag Performa washer & dryer set. A few weeks ago, we noticed that upon starting the dryer, it made a horrible racket and then went back to normal within a few seconds. It gets hot, but the clothes are not really dry, even after a 70 minute cycle.

Is this the fan, possibly? Do I need a pro for this?

Thanks very much for your time.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 10:31 PM
    I'm not a dryer expert, but perhaps the belt is broken and the drum may not be spinning. If so, it could be a fire hazard, so sounds like you need a repairman unless you know how to replace a belt. I wouldn't use it until you have it repaired.

Didi
    Mom2Feebs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Thanks for responding--the drum is moving, which is why this is kind of odd.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Sorry I couldn't help. This is more than odd... if the heat is on and the drum is turning you would think the clothing would dry!

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will respond. Good luck!

Didi
    sjethro00 Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Mar 15, 2007, 03:09 PM
    The easiest thing you could do is, unplug the dryer, and remove the back casing (usually 10 screws or so). Where the Dryer hose goes into, fish around in there and make sure if free of debris and lint. To do a more detailed cleaning, you may have to remove another casing depending upon your model.

Its recommended to do this every couple years, or if its used often, maybe every 1- 1 1/2 years.

You might also check the vent system/hose you have in place, and also make sure they are free of debris and lint.

As long as your dryer is drying (somewhat), and the drum is moving, you can rule out belt replacement, or there being a bad heating coil, or a bad thermal fuse.
    Home_Inspector Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Feb 21, 2011, 09:06 PM
    I agree if it is getting hot and spinning the only thing that would prevent it from drying is improper air flow. Thousands of house fires are caused by lint clogged vent hoses each year. If you have a wet/dry vac try to vacuum up as much lint as you can from the vent hose and then move the vacuum hose to the blowing side of the vac and blow out the vent hose. Be sure to use some duct tape around the dryer vent hose and the vac hose or else you will get a face full of lint! The other problem could be the blower wheel on the dryer. The racket you heard may have been the blower wheel bearings going out. If removing the lint from the vent hose doesn't fix the problem then you may want to check the blower wheel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Performa Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

The machine's tub will not turn. If it might be the transmission, how do I test it? The motor is good ( I took the belt off & the motor works fine. Thanks for your help, Karl

Maytag Perfoma Dryer not Drying [ 2 Answers ]

Good afternoon All, My maytag dryer listed above is not drying. Can anyone help I have 4 kids and I need my dryer to work at this present time I do not want to purchase another. Thanks so much an advance. Single mom

Maytag Performa Dryer belt change? [ 2 Answers ]

This dryer is a little different from others. The motor is in the rear, and the front is very hard to remove. I have the top off, no problem, but can't reach the screws holding the front on. They are way down the side, and access is very limited. To remove the hinged front cover, the top screws I...

Maytag dryer runs too hot [ 5 Answers ]

Maytag dryer runs too hot. Does not seem to go to cool down cycle even on Perm Press setting. Where can I find an electrical schematic?

View more questions Search