Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bskirksx2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
    Insurance Company Won't Cover My ER Visit
    About a month ago, my husband took me to the emergency room because I had painful breathing all day, and woke up that night in so much pain I could barely take a breath. When we got there, the nurse gave me painkillers and told me they would give me a CAT scan to see if it was a kidney or gallstone, and if it wasn't either of these things, they would give me an X ray to see if it was my lung. The doctor then came in and told me that I tested positive on their pregnancy test. He then gave me an ultrasound and told me the ultrasound confirmed it. My husband and I were overjoyed because we have been trying for a year. They didn't do the X ray or the CAT scan because I was "pregnant". My pain subsided thankfully, and I'm not sure what the cause was, although I have a suspicion it might have been a spontaneous lung collapse. I got my period 2 weeks later, and I am definitely not pregnant. Now my insurance company won't cover the hospital visit, because I was never diagnosed. My husband and I cannot pay the entire sum, we feel lied to by the doctor, dissapointed, and now screwed! Is there anything we can do, legally or otherwise? We absolutely cannot pay this bill, and are afraid bankruptcy is our only option.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
    There is more to this story... because even HMO's cover Emergency room visits.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
    It is unusual for a blood test at the ER and for a ultrasound both to be wrong. It is possible to have one period and still be pregnant, or to have miscarriage.

They did diagnosis, they said you were pregnant. Is pregnancy covered by the policy ?

Have you appealed with insurance company, written to the insurance commission.

First depending on where you are, the amount of the bill may be over the small claims limit?
    If not, they would have the attorney there, so first be sure as to the exact wording of the policy, and you may have to go back to hospital and have them do a code to show what was the results of the tests.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck. It appears that the insurance company is mistaken in denying coverage. If need be get an attorney to push it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium o [ 1 Answers ]

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium of $25,000. The agency billed the client for the policy and is entitled to a commission of 20%. How do I do an adjusting journal entry for this question? Will it have two parts to it?

Probation ordered drug counseling but my insurance won't cover it. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey and have been on probation for the last 2 years. I'm not on probation for a drug offense but recently failed one drug test and was ordered to get a substance abuse evaluation. Anyway, I went and got the evaluation and the counselor at this place recommended to my probation...

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

What to do when primary insurance won't cover? [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is currently in the hospitol due to a recent stroke. His primary health insurance is ready to boot him out and send him home. He is in need of speech and occupational therapy due to the recent stroke. His insurance won't cover therapy or cost of a...

Will Insurance Cover In My State? [ 1 Answers ]

I am contemplating taking a job in VA. However, I live in WV. Will the new company's plan (Blue Cross) be accepted at the physicians we use here in WV? Thanks for any input.

View more questions Search