Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cfimei Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Debt buyer refuses to provide information
    I am being sued by a debt buyer who claims they have bought a loan they say I defaulted on. I filed a motion to dismiss but the debt buyer's attorney has filed a motion to strike my dismissal stating that;

"As a matter of law [my name] may not question either the validity of the loan assignment or the consideration for it."

And further they say;

"Our client [the debt buyer] unequivocally alleges that it is the owner and holder of the note."

In other words their client refuses to provide me or the court with evidence of the assignement or how much they paid for it.

How can they do this? How can they prevent me from asking to see proof that they did in fact buy the loan i.e. show the assignment paperwork and how much they paid for it? If they can get away with this then I guess I'm screwed.
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Mar 14, 2007, 08:47 PM
    If the judge asks for it they can't.

Have you talked with them about the debt through negotiations, etc... or written correspondence acknowledging you DO owe this?

Mar 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Yes I have contacted them about this but they say as a debt buyer they are NOT bound by the FDCPA (they are not collecting on behalf of somebody else - it's their loan now apparently). I have disputed it because I truly believe the loan was paid off.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Yes they are bound by the FDCPA, if they fail to validicate the alleged debt there is no debt.

Send a discovery to the attorney and request the original contract, no contract , no claim.

If the fail to do either file Motion to dismiss, and request judgment against them in the same amount the are claiming.

Deny all until they comply, even in the court, they must havet the contract to win.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Ok, First they can SAY anything they want to in pretrial motions. They are trying to intimidate you. But the judge is going to rule as a matter of law. And the law says they have to prove you owe the debt if you dispute it.

It's a simple matter. To sue someone for a debt means they are suing for breach of contract. To win such a suit they have to prove a contract existed and it was breached. So I would just ignore their pretrial posturing. You filed your motion, they filed their answer and you see them in court. I doubt if they will even show.

Mar 15, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Thanks to all for those helpful comments! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex doesn't want to provide... [ 2 Answers ]

My "ex" has been "starting a business" for about 4 years now. As you can imagine- he has not been consistent paying child support during this time. I'm wondering how to prove his income when I finally take him to court ( I have every reason to believe he is making some sort of money, he travels a...

Credit agency refuses to verify debt, but demands payment (Ontario) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Just as a backgrounder, I have placed my original post in quotes at the bottom. The one thing I should add is that we contacted the original alleged creditor (GMAC), who was reasonably nice, but told us that they no longer held the debt and couldn't provide us with any verification. ...

Pubic Shaving Tips - M/F Shavers Please Provide Input [ 21 Answers ]

Hello, I have been reading the threads on the forums regarding shaving pubic hair. I tried this with good results a little over a week ago (actually started as trimming & then got carried away). The smooth balls felt great & my wife LOVED it; We have had some of the best sex we have...

Helpful Information about Bankruptcy, Debt & Credit Bureaus [ 5 Answers ]

Below is some helpful information from our Bankruptcy & Debt Expert. Of course, you're also welcome and encouraged to post questions to this board for more information: Just click the "Ask about Bankruptcy & Debt" button at the top of the page.

Employer didn't provide W2 or 1099 forms [ 2 Answers ]

My husbands employer did not provide him with a W2 or 1099 and he has not paid taxes quarterly as we found out he should have. There was a question on his actual emplyment status weather he was an "employee" or 'contractor". Now the company has gone out of business and we don't know how to proceed.

View more questions Search