Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gapgirl Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 10:51 PM
    Statutory rape
    Hi I'm 16 years old living in canada, I met a guy in a work who is 20 now, and my father is so angry with him because he is 20 and we are together,I have trust issues when I'm a child because of my parents, they don't do goodnparenting, they always don't trust me, and me too. Some said my parents can sue him for statutory rape? Is that possible? And can my parents sue him because they daid he must not see me,talked to me anymore? What is the possible action that my parents do with our relationship but we so much love each other..
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 10:56 PM
    No, they can't sue him, they can have him charged with rape. That would mean him going to court, and to jail, and being labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life. Suing is what you do when you suffer monetary damages. Statutory rape is a criminal charge.

How long have you and this man been together? The legal age of consent is 16 in most provinces in Canada. But, if you started a relationship before you were 16, your parents can have him charged, especially if that relationship was sexual.

Dec 9, 2012, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    No, they can't sue him, they can have him charged with rape. That would mean him going to court, and to jail, and being labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life. Suing is what you do when you suffer monetary damages. Statutory rape is a criminal charge.

How long have you and this man been together? The legal age of consent is 16 in most provinces in Canada. But, if you started a relationship before you were 16, your parents can have him charged, especially if that relationship was sexual.

We just started month ago, because I don't trust anyone , I just trusted him because he always makes me smile,laugh,she is always there for me whenever my parent is always mad at me. We don't have sex because he said he can wait for me.. my parents can sue him? Or my parents can file a case of rape? And he will go to jail? Even though we don't do anything sexual?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 11:30 PM
    Your parents cannot sue him. They can have him charged with rape if they think there is a sexual relationship.

Dec 9, 2012, 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Your parents cannot sue him. They can have him charged with rape if they think there is a sexual relationship.
    And we don't have sex either.. how can they charged him with that? And I think 16 years old in alberta is legal in sex ? How can they charged him like that?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapgirl View Post
    And we don't have sex either..how can they charged him with that? And i think 16 years old in alberta is legal in sex ? How can they charged him like that?
    Were you with him before you were 16? They can charge him and it will be up to him to prove he is innocent.

Dec 9, 2012, 11:42 PM
    Were you with him before you were 16? They can charge him and it will be up to him to prove he is innocent.
    No we've been together last month.. im already 16 when I met him.and we love each other too much.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 11:50 PM
    Do you sneak out to see him? Have your parents forbidden any contact?

Dec 9, 2012, 11:55 PM
    Do you sneak out to see him? Have your parents forbidden any contact?
    Im 16 . I think I'm at age of consent.. Yeah sometimes I sneak out and we almost going o the mall... yeah my parents talked to him , and said he must not talked to me anymore because they can do anything about that...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 12:19 AM
    Um, sneaking out gives them even more ammunition. If they catch you or find out, your name will be mud. Then, for sure, they have a case.

Dec 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
    Um, sneaking out gives them even more ammunition. If they catch you or find out, your name will be mud. Then, for sure, they have a case.
    What is the case then? Rape? If they catch me talking?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 01:00 AM
    What is the case then? Rape? If they catch me talking?
    They have forbidden you see him. They can put out an order on him that he is not to come near you. Parents' rules are being broken.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 01:37 AM
    For just taking they can go with interference with custody, If they get a order of protection, then the crime is violation of that order. You will have to have sex with him for rape to happen. There are other crimes if he just touches you sexually.

If the parents forbid it ( and they should if they are good parents) then he can end up in jail if he does not obey your parents. ( and he should)

Dec 10, 2012, 03:21 AM
    They have forbidden you see him. They can put out an order on him that he is not to come near you. Parents' rules are being broken.
    What if I'm the one who wants to see him,or I'm the one who always wants to go at his place...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2012, 04:07 AM
    What if im the one who wants to see him,or im the one who always wants to go at his place...
    To sum up. Since you are over the age of consent, he can't be prosecuted for statutory rape. However, since your parents have forbidden you to see him, they may be able to get a restraining order or charge him with custodial interference.

Until you are 18, you are under their control and have to abide by their rules. It doesn't matter what you want at this point. I'm assuming he knows your parents wishes and he needs to abide by them.

I also question your thinking you are in love with him. At 16 you are on the young side to be thinking you are in love after a month. Also, from the sound of it, your home life is not the happiest so you are more vulnerable to being in a relationship just to replace what you don't have at home.

I can also understand your parents being against him. A 4 year gap at your ages is huge. He is an adult and wants to do adult things, you are still a child. My advice is to work on your parents have him come to your home for dinner let them get to know him and see if he's good for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statutory rape [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 16 and I had sex with a guy who is 48 is that statutory rape? And please don't judge me

Statutory rape [ 10 Answers ]

If a person under the age of consent lies about their age to an adult, saying they are older than they are, can the adult still be charged? Also what is the time limit to charge someone of statutory rape from when the sex happened?

Statutory rape [ 6 Answers ]

If you have a girlfriend that lives in Alberta canada and she is 16, and you have a son that lives in the US and is 18 and something happends is that considered statutory rape??

Statutory Rape? [ 3 Answers ]

Would it be considered illegal for me, a 16 year old to be dating and having sex with an 18 year old, in New York?

View more questions Search