Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdtuck1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Landlord Stiffed Me
    My landlord owns several properties in my neighborhood and we have all received notices for foreclosure. We all have lease-puchase contracts and looked forward to close soon. We are all nearing the end of our lease... some ready to close some not. What options do I have? I live in the state of Virginia and need to know what to do immediately.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
    If you have not already used your option to purchase, they are still merely leases, if the property goes into foreclosure, you could try and attach a lien for your losses, but the first mortgage would hold priority.

I would say you have little chance. But you may get the other owners to get together with you and hire an attorney to represent all of you.
    kdtuck1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 07:16 PM
    That seems so unfair. I have invested thousands of dollars into the home. So, the contract that I hold with the owner becomes null and void once it forecloses? I received several different messages: I can allow it to foreclose and try to work a deal with the bank, assume the loan, etc. How long does a foreclosure take in the state of VA?
    katkollmer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Have you tried using the Landlord Tenant Act? Go to the State Statutues and the information about tenant and landlords are there. If the Landlord owes several properties, they are held liable under that state statute. Look at your contract and review it carefully. There has to be something in there about purchasign the property in case of default. If you need more info, you can send me an email. I can find the state statute for you. I live in VA. Have you tried to contact your landlord to do a quick purchase? Right now, the interest rates are terrible and I can bet they did an interest only. Since the depreciations of homes here, that is why they are defaulting. The bad thing is that they are hurting their credit.

Why don't you offer a good price and quick purchase?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do if I have renters who will not pay their rent . No rental agreement was signed it was verbal agreement !:confused:

Landlord and pluming [ 2 Answers ]

Who has to pay for the bill the landlord or the tendant?:confused:

Landlord / liar [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. love this site! My landlord did not give me the 2nd page of my lease when I signed it so I thought I was signing another lease .When I had problems he started talking about "its in the lease" and I thought he was making it up but I found that my lease was 1st page numbered 1-7 and the 2nd page...

Am I a Landlord? [ 7 Answers ]

I invited my 25 year old daughter and her small children to come to my house and live after they were homeless in Florida in the fall of 2004. They arrived in March of 2005. Since moving in she and her small children have ruined my carpet, walls and one toilet. They are slobs and she hasn't...

View more questions Search