Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mehrshad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Joint account garnishment
    My husband and my mother has joint account with me two days ago I noticed there is garnishment against account from year 2007 can they withdrawal this fund from our account? Bank has it on hold
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2012, 05:03 PM
    If they have a writ... they can go after anything that has the name of the person the writ is against on it. They can periodically renew that writ indefinitely until the debt is settled.
    mehrshad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If they have a writ...they can go after anything that has the name of the person the writ is against on it. They can periodically renew that writ indefinitely until the debt is settled.
    But it's not my money I just authorize to use the account
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2012, 05:49 PM
    If the name is on it.. its fair game. YOU will have to prove to them that none of the money was put into the account by the person who has the writ against them... if you ever hope to get any of it back.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 07:20 PM
    Who caused the garnishment, when and what for? Was this account set up with all 3 of you before 2007? Why on earth would you want your mother to be on your account and your husbands account?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2012, 04:15 AM
    If someone has a judgment against a person, then the judgment holder can go after any assets they are listed on as owner.

Your recourse is to go to the court that issued the writ of attachment and petition to vacate the writ on the grounds that none of the money deposited in the account is yours. You will, of course, have to prove that..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 06:56 AM
    They can and will, you will need to prove it is not your account and prove most likely that your money does not go into that account

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint bank account garnishment [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter lived with a guy for four years. She had a checking account with her and my name on it. While they were together she put his name on the account because at the time he had a job and has his wages direct dposited into that account. They had serious problems with their relationship and...

Joint Account Garnishment [ 11 Answers ]

I realized that with Citibank, the a joint account is subject to Garnishment. Is that the case with all Banks?

Joint account garnishment in va [ 2 Answers ]

Can a joint account be garnished in VA and granted if only one of the account holders name is on the garnishment.

Garnishment of joint bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I have a joint account with my mother she is the first owner there was money taken out of the account for an old debt of mine which I had tried to pay were they allowed to take money out of this account since I am second signer on this account?

Garnishment Of A Joint Account [ 1 Answers ]

I have a credit card company trying to garnish my joint checking account. Can they by law go after my Revolcable Trust Account in which I have with my wife if, my wife is the one being garnisheried

View more questions Search