Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christine r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Sewage smell in washing machine/dryer
    I've had an ongoing problem with sewage backing up into the sink next to the washing machine. The sink was backing up to the point of overflow. So we raised the sink about 4 feet off the floor but there was still a little brown sludge flowing into the sink. A hose from the washing machine runs off into the sink. We've now gotten rid of the sink and have raised the hose from the washing machine and have it flowing directly into a pipe that goes to the sewage stack. The pipe is higher than the sewage stack. Yet, there is still an odour on the washed clothes. The dryer on the other hand smells like a dirty diaper and the dried clothes smell like sewage. I've tried bleaching the inside of the dryer drum, but the smell permeates.

Last week a plumber snaked the sewage line. Apparently, there was a slight block at around the 12 foot mark. The clothes from the wash don't have the bad odour, but the dryer and the clothes coming out of it, reek even more than before.

I don't know what to try next. I would sincerely appreciate someone's input.

Thanks in advance,
    Christine
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 08:12 PM
    You put contaminated clothes in the dryer. Buy a new one.
    Ask the plumber if you got a trap on the washing machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine makes grinding noise when washing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Performa washing machine - about 5 years old. It makes a grinding noise when washing. Spin cycle is still quiet. Any suggestions about what to check?

Washing Machine Electrical Burning Smell [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, Here's the long and the short of it. My Daughter pulled the drain plug out of the washing machine (found at bottom front of my European Zanussi Washer/Dryer combo) during a wash and water went everywhere. The only way I could see to reinstall it is by putting the machine on its side...

Sewage odor from washing machine drain [ 2 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1997. We bought it in 2001 in the winter. There is a problem with sewage odor coming from the washing machine drain in the laudry room when the weather is warm. A couple of years ago we had the septic tank checked and waste water lines extended (I'm not sure if that's what...

Smell when washing machine drains [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had the problem of my wash machine overflowing drain pipe plumber recommended putting a fitting on top of drain to prevent water from overflowing and it worked until about a week later when I started smelling sewer smell checked it out and found some standing water under my bathroom on...

Washing Machine Drains = Bathtub Fills Up W/ Sewage? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my title is just a hint of the trouble I have recently encountered. A couple days ago I did a load of laundry and noticed that the bathtub was full of sewage about 45mins after starting the laundry load. Puzzled it took me until the next day to figure out they two events were...

View more questions Search