Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluebetty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Can I sue a former doctor for slandering me to my former patients?
    I was laid off from an outpatient psychiatric clinic after 8 years because I was not cost-effective. After leaving, I was off for 5 months and then opened my own therapy clinic. Patients are now coming back to treatment with me and I'm hearing story after story of this supervisor completely "throwing me under the bus" to these psych patients who felt it was unprofessional, uncomfortable, (one said traumatizing), and very strange as he acted like a supporter of mine during my employment there.

This has got to stop. Is my new business hurting and individuals I thought would contact me have not. Is he affecting my business? I just want him to stop it. Is a cease and desist letter enough to scare him into stopping?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Did the clinic say you could take "your own" patients (the ones you were seeing) with you when you left and started your own practice?

Your degree is in what?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 9, 2012, 08:14 AM
    A cease and desist letter (from a lawyer) might be a good investment, but there's no way we or anyone can know if it will work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 9, 2012, 09:24 AM
    Do you know exactly what was said? Since the patients returned to you, doesn't seem like much damage occurred.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 09:31 AM
    When I worked/counseled at a clinic, the patients (including the ones I was seeing) all "belonged" to the clinic. When I left, I asked the clinic if I could "take" certain ones with me and had to justify that it was necessary for therapy continuity. The rest of "my" patients were assigned to new counselors.

Is that why you are having problems with your former supervisor -- the clinic thinks you "stole" the patients you are seeing?
    bluebetty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 11:21 AM
    I am a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. He has said things like I was a drug dealer and incompetent. Mind you I wasn't fired, I was let go and never once penalized for my clinical care. I won NP of the year 2 years in a row.

My contract has no clause regarding patients. I think legally you cannot keep a patient (a psychiatric patient no less) from accessing care.

I know some people came back, but I had 225 people on my case load and only 6 have come back. What percentage are listening to this and not coming back?

He also I believe kept me from getting another job by bad mouthing me to a doctor that was going to hire me, but I can't prove it. I have patients willing to write declarations because they are so upset by his behavior.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 9, 2012, 12:01 PM
    If he told lies about you and you can prove it, then you have a case. Consult an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue a Doctor for surgery he recommended, when before/after photos look the same [ 5 Answers ]

I went to a Dermatologist to ask about fillers in the creases from the corners of my mouth to my chin. I was told fillers wouldn't do any good, that to see the biggest differences I would need a lower face lift (MAC-Lift). I said I didn't want any surgery. The doctor said let me show you. He put a...

Can I sue a past emplyer for her employees slandering me. [ 5 Answers ]

I was working at a retirment home and a few of the employees seem to have nothing better to do than make up stuff about me,I went to a job interveiw at another retirment home and found out that 2 employees from tpl applied for the job I was applying for and said a bunch lies that are very damaging...

Do I have a case to Sue a Doctor office in Texas? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, here is my case, I'm working for a Janitorial Co. in Texas, I'm cleaning a Doctor office at night time. Last Wednesday before the holidays, I was pulling the trash can from one office, the administration office to be more specific, and when I was pulling the trash from the can, suddenly one...

Can I sue for slandering? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neighbor who is constantly stateing false information about myself and my husband. She has gone as far as filing false accusations in court, my question is can I sue for slandering? Please help :o :confused:

View more questions Search