Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MEENA90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2012, 02:36 AM
    Migraines
    Hi this is meena I'm in very worse state of my migraine and I could find out that it's a migraine headache, my major symptoms are severe headache, headache in back of the head (bottom left side), headache due to light, sound and odour and in recent times I also have severe back pain and shoulder pain . Can you suggest me the treatment and medication... I also afraid whether it could be a STROKE
    catgirl101 Posts: 71, Reputation: 2
    -

Mar 2, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Migraine is a chronic neurological disorder characterized by recurrent moderate to severe headaches often in association with a number of autonomic nervous system symptoms. The word derives from the Greek ἡμικρανία (hemikrania), "pain on one side of the head",[1] from ἡμι- (hemi-), "half", and κρανίον (kranion), "skull".[2]

Typically the headache is unilateral (affecting one half of the head) and pulsating in nature, lasting from 2 to 72 hours. Associated symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, photophobia (increased sensitivity to light), phonophobia (increased sensitivity to sound) and the pain is generally aggravated by physical activity.[3] Up to one-third of people with migraine headaches perceive an aura: a transient visual, sensory, language, or motor disturbance which signals that the headache will soon occur.[3] Occasionally an aura can occur with little or no headache following it.

Migraines are believed to be due to a mixture of environmental and genetic factors.[4] About two-thirds of cases run in families.[5] Fluctuating hormone levels may also play a role: migraine affects slightly more boys than girls before puberty, but about two to three times more women than men.[6][7] Propensity for migraines usually decreases during pregnancy.[6] The exact mechanisms of migraine are not known. It is, however, believed to be a neurovascular disorder.[5] The primary theory is related to increased excitability of the cerebral cortex and abnormal control of pain neurons in the trigeminal nucleus of the brain stem.[8]

Initial recommended management is with simple analgesics such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen (also known as paracetamol) for the headache, an antiemetic for the nausea, and the avoidance of triggers. Specific agents such as triptans or ergotamines may be used by those for whom simple analgesics are not effective. Globally, approximately 15% of the population is affected by migraines at some point in life.
    Contents
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 2, 2013, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catgirl101 View Post
    Migraine is a chronic neurological disorder characterized by recurrent moderate to severe headaches often in association with a number of autonomic nervous system symptoms. The word derives from the Greek ἡμικρανία (hemikrania), "pain on one side of the head",[1] from ἡμι- (hemi-), "half", and κρανίον (kranion), "skull".[2]

Typically the headache is unilateral (affecting one half of the head) and pulsating in nature, lasting from 2 to 72 hours. Associated symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, photophobia (increased sensitivity to light), phonophobia (increased sensitivity to sound) and the pain is generally aggravated by physical activity.[3] Up to one-third of people with migraine headaches perceive an aura: a transient visual, sensory, language, or motor disturbance which signals that the headache will soon occur.[3] Occasionally an aura can occur with little or no headache following it.

Migraines are believed to be due to a mixture of environmental and genetic factors.[4] About two-thirds of cases run in families.[5] Fluctuating hormone levels may also play a role: migraine affects slightly more boys than girls before puberty, but about two to three times more women than men.[6][7] Propensity for migraines usually decreases during pregnancy.[6] The exact mechanisms of migraine are not known. It is, however, believed to be a neurovascular disorder.[5] The primary theory is related to increased excitability of the cerebral cortex and abnormal control of pain neurons in the trigeminal nucleus of the brain stem.[8]

Initial recommended management is with simple analgesics such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen (also known as paracetamol) for the headache, an antiemetic for the nausea, and the avoidance of triggers. Specific agents such as triptans or ergotamines may be used by those for whom simple analgesics are not effective. Globally, approximately 15% of the population is affected by migraines at some point in life.
    Contents
    Please post the link where you got this information, otherwise you're plagiarizing someone else's info.
    catgirl101 Posts: 71, Reputation: 2
    -

Mar 2, 2013, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Please post the link where you got this information, otherwise you're plagiarizing someone elses info.
    Migraine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Pets Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catgirl101 View Post
    So you simply posted something you found on wikipedia, one of the least reliable sources on the internet.

This is the medical forum. On this forum you can't copy and paste what you googled, you actually have to know what you're talking about. So, where did you go to medical school? Are you a doctor? Are you a nurse? Do you have any medical background or knowledge? Oh wait... you're 9. So I guess not.
    rinaontue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2013, 02:13 AM
    Sex may cure a migraine as well as painkillers

Pounding headache? Sex could cure what ails you just as well as medication, a new study from the University of Munster finds.

Researchers recruited 800 migraine sufferers and 200 cluster headache sufferers. While findings are preliminary, results showed that more than half of the migraine sufferers said their pain subsided after a about of passion with their partners. Their research was reported in Cephalalgia, the journal of the International Headache Society.

The researchers suggested that sex triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, which can reduce, or even eliminate, a headache, The Telegraph reported. While headaches have long been used as an excuse for not having sex, the researchers reported that the male subjects in particular used sex as a "therapeutic tool."

"Our results show that sexual activity during a migraine attack might relieve or even stop an attack in some cases, and that sexual activity in the presence of headache is not an unusual behavior," the researchers wrote, according to The Telegraph.

"Sex can abort migraine and cluster headache attacks, and sexual activity is used by some patients as acute headache treatment."

Source: URL Shortener
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2013, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rinaontue View Post
    Sex may cure a migraine as well as painkillers

Pounding headache? Sex could cure what ails you just as well as medication, a new study from the University of Munster finds.

Researchers recruited 800 migraine sufferers and 200 cluster headache sufferers. While findings are preliminary, results showed that more than half of the migraine sufferers said their pain subsided after a bout of passion with their partners. Their research was reported in Cephalalgia, the journal of the International Headache Society.

The researchers suggested that sex triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, which can reduce, or even eliminate, a headache, The Telegraph reported. While headaches have long been used as an excuse for not having sex, the researchers reported that the male subjects in particular used sex as a "therapeutic tool."

"Our results show that sexual activity during a migraine attack might relieve or even stop an attack in some cases, and that sexual activity in the presence of headache is not an unusual behavior," the researchers wrote, according to The Telegraph.

"Sex can abort migraine and cluster headache attacks, and sexual activity is used by some patients as acute headache treatment."

source: URL Shortener

And if the poster is 13, then what?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will an infected tooth cause you to have migraines? [ 5 Answers ]

OK I went to the doctor last week and they told me I had some infected teeth. They gave me anitibiotics and I started feeling better the next day. I am still taking my meds but I have missed 2 doses. Now I am having the same symptoms I was when I first went to the doctor. Does this mean that the...

My boyfriend keeps getting migraines... [ 5 Answers ]

He's been having them since he was 12. He's now 25 and still gets them at a frequency of lets say once per month. Right now he's in the other room, in pain for 4 hours now, and he took a pill (imigran) about half an hour ago. He's in so much pain, and I can't do anything :( I feel so useless. I...

Crippling Migraines [ 17 Answers ]

Hi All My wife gets crippling migraines at least once per week and has had them for over 10years. Although they are better when the weather is not drastic they continue and have total control over her life. She continues to take as many as 7 Tylenol 2's with codeine before I stop her and I...

How can I treat migraines? [ 12 Answers ]

I suffer from migraines approx. every 4-6 weeks. I can not take any kind of medication as it always causes vomiting. Can anyone suggest any alternate treatments?

View more questions Search