Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmavendano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2012, 07:06 PM
    SSI Death Benefits for my mother.
    My parents are in SSI, My father receives 1028, and my mother get her spouse benefits of 368. Should he die, how much will she be receiving from his survivor benefits. They are over 66 and lived off his income. Neither no longer worked. I'm asking because should anything happen to him in the near future, I need to know if I will be able to financially support my mother. I pay half of their bills as it is now because their income is not enough but If they take away all of it, I fear I'm not going to be able to take care of her or the home financially. I simply want to be prepared. He is not in the best health and he does not have life insurance.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Usually the way it works is your mother would receive the higher of benefits if both qualify for benefits should he pass.
    cmavendano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2012, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Usually the way it works is your mother would recieve the higher of benefits if both qualify for benefits should he pass.
    Thanks for your response, I don't know that it makes me feel any better, but it is a load off my shoulders. I'm having trouble supporting my kids and my parents but at least now I KNOW that I will have to start saving something in case of his death.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 6, 2012, 08:18 PM
    You don't say how much you contribute to their expenses, but if they were availing themselves of all the benefits they could be getting, they should be able to get by on 1400/mo. The biggest one of course is housing. Are you familiar with all they can be getting?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The guardian of SSI benefits lies and says no SSI exists. [ 2 Answers ]

The custodian of a 17yr olds ssi money tells him repeatedly he is not getting SSI. Is it OK to lie to the child. The father was taken care of child. The mother with SSI left them and the sister was guardian of both ssi benefits..

SSI benefits for a child [ 2 Answers ]

My daughters mother receives SSI benefits for her and then a separate amount each month for our daughter. Our daughter has lived with me for the past 6 years and I recently found all this out. She does not send any of that money for our daughter. Can I report her? Our daughter receives her own...

SSI Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

If the seniors on SSI moves from one state to another, will the benefit amount adjust according to the cost of living in the new area or state?

View more questions Search