Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Older Basement Windows
    My house has those old single pane metal framed windows. Eventually I would like to replace them with nice vinyl window but I estimated the cost for 5 new windows and a mason to be around $700. Right now I can't afford that, any suggestions on a cheap alternative. I want to do this for two reasons.
    1. Summers coming and I would like to be able to open the basement windows without letting any critters in.
    2.Obviously I would like something that insulates a little better in the winter.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 03:29 PM
    $700 for 5 new vinyl windows is awesome! I do presume that's the windows only (not labor), right?

There is no alternative in my opinion. I suggest you do one at a time in order of which rooms would benefit you most... and do it yourself. They are easy enough for the least experienced of diy'ers to do.
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Fair enough. Thanks Rick
    nfacciolo Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2007, 06:14 PM
    I spent about 30k remodeling my basement. What I did with those windows is I had Glass Block installed instead of windows. No leaks and the sun still comes in. I had 5 windows and it was less than $500.00 including labor. If you want to open the windows and have air flow, do 2 windows and glass block the other 3. It's a great alternative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Basement windows [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how to replace my basement (hopper type) windows, that are set in the concrete foundation.

Uninstalling windows xp and reinstalling windows 98 se [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me how to uninstall windows xp and reinstall windows 98 se... I tried to reinstall windows 98 se from the dos prompt and it's telling me that no fat32 system or fat16 system found plus it's telling me that I need to reinsatll my dos cd-rom drivers manually and partition my...

Replacing basement windows [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all. I want to replace the basement windows. My house is 5 years old and the basement windows are only single pane. I have changed windows before but not with metal surrounds. How is the metal window held in the concrete wall? What kind of fasteners do you use to install the windows? ...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

View more questions Search