Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hursty2421 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2012, 03:39 AM
    i have disconnected my hard wired smoke alarms but still a chirp in my house.
    I have three EI 100R3N smoke detectors, a chirp has been happening for about 2 month. Reading info on the smoke alarms all advice pointed towards changing back up batteries. In all 3 detectors - no back up battery. So I disconnected all 3 entirely from the ceiling. They are now nowhere near the house. I have closed all doors in my house and sat in each one. Chirp comes from landing/hallway. In this area is, front door bell, not this. House alarm sounder, not this. House alarm movement detectors, not these. Nothing else is in this area yet still a chirp, I can't pinpoint the sound either, I'm 30 and don't have hearing difficulty. I am not hearing things in my head either although I have thought about suicide if I fail to find this bloody chirp. It happens every 40 seconds and is the same sound as the one heard in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AQvjqhnHTE
    Can anyone please help with some positive useful advice please
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 07:02 AM
    Do you have a smoke detector in the attic?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2012, 07:24 AM
    Have you located detectors in each bedroom and outside the bedrooms and each floor. If Not check the missing location.
    I was called a couple of weeks ago, customer said the Motion Detector was chirping/making some sound, they had 3 people confirm it was the detector, I replied I never/seen(heard)a motion chirp. I drove the 20 Miles and below the motion detector was a UPS(battery backup system). Pushed the button, and it stopped?

Dec 7, 2012, 10:54 AM
    So I've confirmed that there are absolutely no more smoke alarms in the house. The ones that were connected were connected to the alarms system. The Alarm system does have a back up battery but this works, I rang the support and the diagnostics confirmed the system was fine. Next I have checked baby monitor, that's totally turned off. Is there any listening devices to pin point the sound, I am an electronics engineer and am confident of sorting the problem if I could pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I have a three floors of stairs and the sound seems to be reverberating around. Thanks for the support and advice, appreciate it, more please
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 7, 2012, 02:39 PM
    Did you take out the alarm battery even though it works? Aren't they designed to chirp before they wear out?

Dec 8, 2012, 03:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Did you take out the alarm battery even though it works? Aren't they designed to chirp before they wear out?
    I took this on board and was hoping upon hope that this would work. So, I turned off the mains to the house, disconnected the battery, still the chirp is there. However, my external alarm was firing away, this I thought might mean the mains switch might not be the actual main cct breaker. Or is that meant to happen with an external source? Again I very much appreciate the time and effort to respond, my hair is now been pulled out and it was grey, the rope is coming out now
    current pert

Dec 8, 2012, 06:04 AM
    Why haven't you made the alarm company come look? It really does sound like it's alarm-related, doesn't it?

Dec 8, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Why haven't you made the alarm company come look? It really does sound like it's alarm-related, doesn't it?
    Took your advice and decided to look on forums about the texecom alarm system and it mentions the battery going and developing a chirp. The telephone support said that the alarm system did not have a chirp in anyway. However, I decided to part with 14 quid and have ordered a battery, see what happens. Fingers crossed.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2012, 06:40 AM
    I think it may still be a low battery on an unfound detector.
    Many smoke detectors that use a Control Panel, send a Trouble signal to the Keypad.
    May be the Interconnected Type(AC with a battery for backup)?
    It would be a Pain to hang curtains, cloths of some type to deaden the sound to help localize the location?

Dec 17, 2012, 02:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I think it may still be a low battery on an unfound detector.
    Many smoke detectors that use a Control Panel, send a Trouble signal to the Keypad.
    May be the Interconnected Type(AC with a battery for backup)?
    It would be a Pain to hang curtains, cloths of some type to deaden the sound to help localize the location?
    Definitely no unfound smoke detector, changed the battery and no change. The external alarm box alarms when I disconnect the mains and Control panel battery, this is my next port of call but require some big bloody ladders. More time spent with this bloody chirp. Christmas is upon us so you can guess what I've asked from Santa Claus. Wish me luck
    current pert

Dec 17, 2012, 08:00 AM
    I still don't get why, if a company installed it, they aren't responsible for coming out to look at it, even if you have to sue them. Telling you there is no chirp showing on their in-house test is ludicrous. Have they said whether a short would cause a chirp?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2012, 08:11 AM
    Hello H:

I'm sure it's a Velociraptor under your floorboards.. They chirp.

Ok, maybe not.

excon

Dec 20, 2012, 12:55 PM
    Found it!!
    Fixed it!!
    Unbelieveable, the neighbour came round to drop off a parcel and I asked her if she was hearing the chirp in my house when she told me that she had a broken smoke alarm. I asked to take a look and there it was, every 40 seconds chirping as loud as can be, like really loud, enough to penetrate my wall and for me to think I had an issue as the story above unfolded. I got the stepladders, swapped the pesky 9v battery and NO CHIRP. How they managed to sleep is beyond me but I don't bloody care, no more Beep, Chirp, Noise!
    Thanks so much for all of the support and help, Merry Christmas and a SILENT New Year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard wired smoke detector [ 2 Answers ]

I have a unfinished basement. I need to move a hard wired smoke detector to a different location. What will happen when I cut power to the entire house? Will all detectors start chirping?

Hard wired smoke detectors [ 1 Answers ]

My basement lights stopped working and when I turn the switch on the smoke detectors buzz. I have removed the detectors and cleaned them. I also replaced both switches. There is power at the breaker and both switches.

Smoke alarms disconnected-still beeping! [ 10 Answers ]

I have 4 smoke alarms in my home; they are all hard-wired. I have had to disconnect completely--take them out of the ceiling--two of them as they went off for no reason. I took the 9 volt battery out of either of them first. That didn't stop it. Then I pulled the alarm out of the ceiling and...

Hard wired smoke detectors [ 2 Answers ]

Doing some work on a mid-60’s bi-level and would like to install interconnected, hard wired smoke detectors. Since it is a bi-level, with finished areas, etc, one continuous connection of the alarms is not possible. I checked the install instructions at First Alert and it shows the alarm...

Hard Wired Smoke detector [ 7 Answers ]

My house has four smoke detectors, all of them hard-wired with back up batteries. I needed to replace one and the replacement seemed very easy. I had turned off the AC power, installed the new smoke detector, but when I turned the power off, all four detectors went off and wouldn't shut off at...

View more questions Search