Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravid99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Hippa
    My daughter has ADHD and the school she has been going to has not been notified as of yet. Her "Grandfather" decided to go to the school and discuss her behavior and her condition with the Principal, a Councelor, and her Teacher without my Wife's or my permission. We are very concerned with the fact that the administrators spoke to the person without our permission. Can there be any legal actions that we can take as parents? Would we be able to sue? Was HIPPA violated?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 3, 2012, 11:46 AM
    No violation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
    Neither the grandfather nor the school is a medical care provider. They are therefore not governed by HIPAA.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
    Agreed - this is not a HIPAA violation because HIPAA applies to medical professionals and insurance companies, not to grandfathers or school administrators. It sounds like the grandfather disclosed medical facts about your child, so you seem to be asking whether you can sue him for doing so. The answer is no, unless the grandfather is a medical professional. However, I would question the school as to why they would talk to anybody about your child without either of the parents being present or giving permission - I don't care whether the subject was ADHD, your daughter's grades, her bus schedule, or whatever - have you asked the school principal about this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2012, 01:22 PM
    You could and should complain to the school about why they were discussing anything with the child's grandfather without the parent's written permission.

But as noted, no HIPAA violation occurred because no medical professional treating your daughter revealed anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa law [ 0 Answers ]

The trailer park I am living in wants my physical and mental diagnosis so I can have a service dog is thisd legal

Hippa Law [ 2 Answers ]

My fiance's sister works for a pathology company that received the tumor and results from his surgery. She came to our house and told him what she thought was the results. She also shared the results with her in laws which have shared them with the whole town we live in. The results she gave us...

Hippa law [ 6 Answers ]

My employer needed confirmation of my dortors appointment to get paided for the holiday,so I call my doctor to fax the confimation to my supervisor,the voicemail pickup at the dortors office so I left the message on there,upon returning from a meeting with my unit my boss came to me with a fax...

Hippa law [ 1 Answers ]

My employer decided to change our personal medical insurance as most do periodically. I received a six page application with many questions concerning my personal medical history, including diagnoses; Doctor’s name dates hospitals and the list goes on. This application provided was by the...

View more questions Search