Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kendrap36 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2012, 06:52 PM
    You have just been hired as a management trainee by Cravat Sales Company, a nationwid
    You have just been hired as a management trainee by Cravat Sales Company, a nationwide distributor
    of a designer’s silk ties. The company has an exclusive franchise on the distribution of the
    ties, and sales have grown so rapidly over the last few years that it has become necessary to add
    new members to the management team. You have been given responsibility for all planning and
    budgeting. Your first assignment is to prepare a master budget for the next three months, starting
    April 1. You are anxious to make a favorable impression on the president and have assembled the
    information below.
    The company desires a minimum ending cash balance each month of $10,000. The ties are
    sold to retailers for $8 each. Recent and forecasted sales in units are as follows:
    January (actual).. . 20,000
    February (actual).. . 24,000
    March (actual).. . 28,000
    April.. . 35,000
    May.. . 45,000
    June.. . 60,000
    July.. . 40,000
    August.. . 36,000
    September.. . 32,000
    382 Chapter 8
    The large buildup in sales before and during June is due to Father’s Day. Ending inventories are
    supposed to equal 90% of the next month’s sales in units. The ties cost the company $5 each.
    Purchases are paid for as follows: 50% in the month of purchase and the remaining 50% in
    the following month. All sales are on credit, with no discount, and payable within 15 days. The
    company has found, however, that only 25% of a month’s sales are collected by month-end. An
    additional 50% is collected in the following month, and the remaining 25% is collected in the second
    month following sale. Bad debts have been negligible.
    The company’s monthly selling and administrative expenses are given below:
    Variable:
    Sales commissions.. . $1 per tie
    Fixed:
    Wages and salaries.. . $22,000
    Utilities.. . $14,000
    Insurance.. . $1,200
    Depreciation.. . $1,500
    Miscellaneous.. . $3,000
    All selling and administrative expenses are paid during the month, in cash, with the exception
    of depreciation and insurance expired. Land will be purchased during May for $25,000 cash. The
    company declares dividends of $12,000 each quarter, payable in the first month of the following
    quarter. The company’s balance sheet at March 31 is given below:
    Assets
    Cash.. . $ 14,000
    Accounts receivable ($48,000 February sales;
    $168,000 March sales).. . 216,000
    Inventory (31,500 units).. . 157,500
    Prepaid insurance.. . 14,400
    Fixed assets, net of depreciation.. . 172,700
    Total assets.. . $574,600
    Liabilities and Stockholders’ Equity
    Accounts payable.. . $ 85,750
    Dividends payable.. . 12,000
    Capital stock.. . 300,000
    Retained earnings.. . 176,850
    Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity.. . $574,600
    The company has an agreement with a bank that allows it to borrow in increments of $1,000
    at the beginning of each month, up to a total loan balance of $40,000. The interest rate on these
    loans is 1% per month, and for simplicity, we will assume that interest is not compounded. At the
    end of the quarter, the company would pay the bank all of the accumulated interest on the loan and
    as much of the loan as possible (in increments of $1,000), while still retaining at least $10,000 in
    cash.
    Required:
    Prepare a master budget for the three-month period ending June 30. Include the following detailed
    budgets:
    1. a. A sales budget by month and in total.
    b. A schedule of expected cash collections from sales, by month and in total.
    c. A merchandise purchases budget in units and in dollars. Show the budget by month and
    in total.
    d. A schedule of expected cash disbursements for merchandise purchases, by month and in
    total.
    2. A cash budget. Show the budget by month and in total.
    3. A budgeted income statement for the three-month period ending June 30. Use the contribution
    approach.
    4. A budgeted balance sheet as of June 30.

Check out some similar questions!

Break-Even Sales and Sales Mix for a Service Company [ 0 Answers ]

Sunshine Airways provides air transportation services between Philadelphia and Orlando. A single Philadelphia to Orlando round-trip flight has the following operating statistics: It is assumed that the fuel, crew salaries, and airplane depreciation are fixed, regardless of the number of seats...

Dentist couldn't get full claim from insurance company so hired collection agency [ 24 Answers ]

The dentist did a couple of operation for me, prior to the operation, he assured me the totall fee would be covered by my insurance company, he knows the insurance policy and the amount that's covered. The dental operation has two precedures, each precedure has its own invoice. The first...

During July, Neptune Company had actual sales of $144,000 compared to budgeted sales [ 1 Answers ]

During July, Neptune Company had actual sales of $144,000 compared to budgeted sales of 3) $156,000. Actual cost of goods sold was $108,000, compared to a budget of $109,200. Monthly Operating expenses, budgeted at $22,400, totaled $20,000. Interest revenue of $2,000 was earned During July but...

I got a sign-in bonus $5000 from the company that hired me,and was given a 1099-misc [ 1 Answers ]

I got a sign-in bonus $5000 from the company that hired me,and was given a 1099-misc with report $5000 in box 7. how should I report this on my 1040? Can I pay employee's portion of combination of Social Security and Medicare(7.65%) only, instead of paying both the employee's and employer's...

Sales management [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there I am working as sales manager for wholesale and Supermarket Sectors in Beverage Company. How can I improve the sales in these sectors. TX

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.