Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsimard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2012, 05:16 AM
    Sewer gases
    I have a filter for my well that backwashes into the sewer pipe. Since the hose cannot come in contact with the sewer, it sits above an open receptacle which has a trap beneath it and connects to the sewer pipe in the basement. About t feet further a clothes washer empties in the sewer pipe followed by the downstairs sink, tub and toilet about 8-12 feet away. This all empties into my septic tank. When I use the clothes washer, I can smell the sewer gases coming from the open receptacle for the filter backwash. Since there is a trap underneath this receptacle, I can't figure out how the gases are coming back into the house. What is causing this and how can I fix it?
    Onetimegolfer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2012, 06:03 AM
    First I would say that you need a plumber to check this out.But for general knowledge there are several possible reasons:1.Your outside vent stacks have an obstruction not allowing it to breath as the waste goes toward the septic tank.2.an obstruction in the main line before the vent stack in which case the vent stack was improperly installed(location and size) if this has always "done the dirty"
    3.Sewage backup if on septic tank could also be the inability of the fill lines to take care of waste water.Pumping out a septic tank is only a temperary fix for a
    Problem with the fill lines.Buy a sewer line snake or hire a plumber.The plumber knows exactly where to start. Snake before you let them dig!Ask for guarntee.
    rsimard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2012, 06:09 AM
    This problem began after I had the water filter installed. The entire septic system was recently replaced a few months ago and I thought this problem would go away but it has not. If anything, it seems to be worse. Is it possible that the drain from the clothes washer is siphening the water from the filter trap allowing the gases to escape?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2012, 06:41 AM
    cc I have a filter for my well that backwashes into the sewer pipe.
    To began with you're putting a unnecessary load on your drainfield by discharging anything but sewage and gray water into the system.
    Since there is a trap underneath this receptacle, I can't figure out how the gases are coming back into the house. What is causing this and how can I fix it?
    A partial blockage cause that. Let me exp,ain. A major fixture, such as a washer discharges and then discharge hits a partial blockage and bounces back sending a bubble of sewer gas ahead of it. This bubble is what you smell. Snake and cle3an your sewer lines and if you can disconnect the backwash line and divert it somewhere else but back in your drainfield. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gases [ 2 Answers ]

The pressure of Cl2 gas in a 2.0-L cylinder is 300 kPa at 25°C. What is the pressure (in kPa) when this gas is released into a 100-L chamber at 25°C?

When we flush the toilet water spews out and sewer gases come in [ 1 Answers ]

When we flush our toilets the toilet spews water everywhere and sewer gases are emitted into the air. This only seems to happen when we have a lot of rain or snow melting and during the spring thaw. Does this mean our septic field is not draining, since we just had our septic pumped a while back?...

Sewer pipe gases! [ 3 Answers ]

My name is terri22, yes I am new at this, but am in need of a health question do to sewer pipe gases in my office at work. My office was a bathroom at one time, and the company never caped off the sewer line, so there has been bad gases and bad, bad smell coming from this pipe. Along with the...

ABS vs PVC gases [ 3 Answers ]

I am a former handyman. One of my current co-workers made the comment that ABS is approved for use with pressurized gases ( compressed air ) and PVC is not. I disagree ! I have only seen ABS used for DVW. If I am wrong can anyone tell me the reference on this ?

Worried about sewer gases [ 5 Answers ]

I have a small cottage (750 sq ft) and a septic (not sand mound). A plumber just installed all new plumbing. He added a sewer vent through the foundation to the outside of my house (where the toilet is)- it is 2 FEET tall. He said that vent will let air in to flush and a u shape pipe in the...

View more questions Search