Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LIMEY69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Withdrawing 401(k)
    If I take the entire amount of my 401 out do I have to pay any taxes? I am 68 1/2
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
    First, its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. To avoid confusion, your question has been moved to its own thread.

Yes, you will need to pay taxes. The principle behind a 401(k) is that the money deposited into your account has not been taxed. Taxes are deferred until you withdraw the funds. So the taxes will be due when you withdraw. The expectation is that, if you wait until retirement your taxable income will be lower and, therefore, your tax rate will be less.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
    Just to add to what ScottGem said - the tax you will owe the IRS is ordinary income tax on the full amount of the withdrawal, plus state/local income taxes if applicable where you live. The 401(k) administrator will most likely automatically withhold 20% of the withdrawal for federal income taxe purposes, similar to how employers withhold income taxes from their employees' pay checks. Whether 20% is the actual amount of tax owed on the withdrawal depends on your income tax bracket. Note that they will not withhold state/local taxes, so if these taxes are owed be sure to keep a cash reserve so you can pay it with your state/local income tax filing next April.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdrawing from 401(k) [ 2 Answers ]

My son-in-law has a 401K with Stover co. that is subsidiary of Emerson. His wife, my dtr. Is very ill with Myositis and cannot walk, cannot control urine output or feces. His boss said he couldn't withdraw funds from the 401K. They need money to put her in a nursing home. HELP!!

Withdrawing from 401K [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 59-1/2 and would like to start taking money from my 401K. Can I set up monthly installments? Or what is my best option?

Withdrawing 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I am a grad student who has returned to school and need money. I have no further loans available to me and need money for housing expenses. I accrued some money from my fomer employer's 401k. I don't need the 'DONT DO IT!" lecture, I know it's not a great option. I just need to someone to tell...

Withdrawing my 401 [ 1 Answers ]

How much will I lose if I withdraw my 401K?

Withdrawing from SSN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been contributing to SSN since last 8 years. Is there a possibility to get any amount withdrawn from this before retirement?

View more questions Search