Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prprice650 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Pali crib & bedding sold on craigslist
    I sold a pali crib on craigslist with bedding for $200. I was asking $150 for the crib & mattress & an option to purchase the bedding that included the bumper pads sheet skirt & the quilt for $150. I was offered $200 for all of it. Instead of dealing with all the emails & calls I agreed to $200. 3 days latet I get an call stating I sold them an illegal crib. I didn't know drop sides were illegal to resell. I told them there was never a recall on that crib & didn't know that you couldn't resell. With many calls & emails... bottom line was I was willing to take the crib but made sure she was happy with the mattress & bedding. She then offered me $100 to return it. I told her that she only got the deal on the bedding as stated above. They have now the threats of small claims court are coming in emails. As I would not agree on that price. They have been very forward & I am a little nervous about giving them my address. Keep in mind it was on craigslist & 3 days before they ever contacted me. What do I do
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 28, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Don't do anything.

First, if there is a prohibition against re-sale of this item, I suspect it doesn't apply in the case of a sale by a private owner.

I wouldn't fear being sued. You made a contract to sell, and the contract was fully performed by both parties. If she is going to prevail, she would have to convince the court that the contract is illegal. I don't see that happening.

Nov 28, 2012, 07:50 PM
    So should I give them my address?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2012, 05:52 AM
    I wouldn't... the deal is over, they bought it... your obligation is over. I would NOT give them my address particularly after they were trying to virtually extort money out of you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2012, 08:08 AM
    Stop communicating with them, don't say another word,

First you are taking their word it was illegal, I don't believe it is for a private party, most of the consumer laws are to stores and business.

Never give a address,

Nov 29, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Ok so today I get a call from this guy that says he is from the CPSC (consumer product safety commision). Said I broke the law because it was illegal to sell drop side cribs. Informed him of every thing that I have stated above & said I was willing to give them money back for the crib but the crib only. He said the whole transaction was illegal since the crib was illegal & said they would be involed if I didn't get this resolved with them. Any suggestions.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by prprice650 View Post
    Ok so today I get a call from this guy that says he is from the CPSC (consumer product saftey commision). Said I broke the law because it was illegal to sell drop side cribs. Informed him of every thing that I have stated above & said I was willing to give them money back for the crib but the crib only. He said the whole transaction was illegal since the crib was illegal & said they would be involed if I didn't get this resolved with them. Any suggestions.
    I bet it was a friend of theirs... how would they get your phone number anyway... do you think they have such vast manpower they would be calling you THIS quickly despite everything else they have to worry about? Like the Shiploads full of unsafe stuff from China and India perhaps?

I'd hang up the next time someone calls you like that... but make a note of the phone number first. A legitimate call would not be from a blocked number. And call the police about the threatening calls... and give them the numbers they were from. Seriously... there is a law against making threatening or prank calls to harrass people.

That guy no more worked for the consumer protection Agency than I am the reigning king of the USA.

Nov 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
    Now check this out... I go to the mail box & there is a letter from her attorney. It said the sale was illegal thus voiding the sale itself. Omg what craziness! Said I have until Friday Dec 7th to make arrangements.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Does this letter look like it was printed on a home printer... or does the leterhead have raised ink on it (home printers CAN'T do this (you could feel the ink like brail letters running a finger over it)... with watermarks on the paper. (hold the paper up to a light and you will see them if they are there. A reputible law firm with use proper letterhead for any correspondence I have dealt with personally.

Some mental deficient is PAYING a Lawyer to draft a letter which would likely cost them 1/2 as much as the entire item cost? LAwyers don't do this free. Look this Lawyer up in the phone book... see if numbers match the letter... call them from another number if they do... find out if they actually sent it IF they do match... if they would have it should have been sent certified or registered mail... not regular 1st class mail... lawyers allways want the signature to prove delivery... you can simply say, letter, what letter otherwise. YOU can also find out WHO originated the letter as well from the post office. More proof where it actually came from.

I bet this is bogus as well... if it is.. take this all to the police.. because you are building a good case to bring harassment charges and maybe even get a restraining order against that loon.

The last time I had a lawyer draft a letter to someone.. it cost $140.00.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy;
    A reputible law firm with use proper letterhead for any correspondence I have dealt with personally.
    Not so. Lots of reputable law firms print letterheads as a part of a letter template.

Nov 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
    I think they really did go to a lawyer. I called the office & asked if they should send it registered or certified, stated it wasvup to the lawyer himself & not always was it sent that way. The people are telling me they want 120 & we can end this. That means they get the mattress & all the bedding for 80 bucks! That not right. I sold them the complete package for a reduced price. Shouldn't that mean the bed is reduced also. Well that's my thoughts but obviously not theirs.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
    They don't get a reduction of so much of a penny and also get to KEEP a supposedly dangerous crib! That makes no sense, legally or practically. They return it for a full refund, or they keep it at the price they paid.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 29, 2012, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    They don't get a reduction of so much of a penny and also get to KEEP a supposedly dangerous crib! That makes no sense, legally or practically. They return it for a full refund, or they keep it at the price they paid.
    Exactly.

I wouldn't make a deal with them to keep some of the items for a discount. I'd tell them to return everything for a full refund, or accept everything at the price they paid.

Nov 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
    Yeah that would be the smarter thing to do I gues but I don't want to deal with selling on craigslist any more. That why I let it go cheap anyhow. Dang if everything was 300 and they got it all for 200 seems to me its all reduced a lot! Never was it stated that if you pay me 150 for the crib I will hive you the bedding the sheets mattress cover bumper pads & quilt for . I think they just wanted the bedding so cheap. I think she decided on something else is my guess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Iphone 4 sold on craigslist and I'm now being sued? [ 4 Answers ]

I sold an iPhone 4 on Craigslist yesterday. I had the item listed for $375 and accepted his offer of $340. The guy looked at the phone, went through all the features and software information. The wi-fi didn't work which was stated several times while he was looking through it. After looking through...

Sold car on craigslist, buyer forced me to give refund [ 1 Answers ]

I sold my car on craigslist for $7,900.. kbb $8500 so good deal for this car. Anyway, the buyer writes me two checks , one for $7500 and the other for $400. He only had the $7500 available and told me to wait to cash the $400 check till Monday.. he bought on a Friday. Originally the buyer bought...

Am I obligated to refund money for an item sold on Craigslist? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently sold a wireless headset on craigslist. The item had never been used, was still in original box with all plastic wrapping sealed and was advertised as such. Later that night the man who purchased it called me and claimed it was defective... he asked for the receipt, which of course I do...

Sold a motorcycle on craigslist and buyer is unhappy and is sueing [ 11 Answers ]

OK well here's my story: I recently sold a motorcycle on craigslist. (listing is at the bottom). I had it for a total of little more than 2 weeks before I sold it. I bought the bike to be an second bike to keep from racking up miles on my other motorcycle or become a stunt bike. When I bought the...

View more questions Search