Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PattyM400 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
    What do I have to do to let Ohio know that I will be a resident of Florida?
    I live in Florida for 6 months and in Ohio for 6 months. Rght now my residence is in Ohio, but we want to become full time Florida residents. How do I go about this with the State of Ohio?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
    There reaslly is nothing formal to file with OH. But I would suggest that you do everything possible to make it clear that you consider yourself a FL resident. For example: turn in your OH drivers license for a FL license, register your cars in FL, register to vote in FL, use the FL mailing address for all financial and tax correspondence, if you're a church-goer transfer to a FL congregation. Also be sure that you actually spend more time in FL than OH - generally speaking if you can document that you spend at least 6 months + 1 day in FL during the calendar year then OH can't claim that you are a OH resident, so keep records of your tavels back and forth. For the first year file a part-year resident tax return with OH that clearly defines your move date to FL in mid-year. All this assumes that you have no OH sources of income - no job or business interests remaining in OH.
    PattyM400 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Thank you for your quick answer. I work part time when I'm in Ohio and also part time n Florida. My husband has his own business in Ohio which is also only part time. What we are understanding is that we would still have to pay Ohio income tax on those earnings. However, we are wondering if we would only pay Ohio tax on the portion of my income earned in Ohio and not in Florida. My husband does not earn anywhewre near what he earns in Ohio while he is in Florida. I do have two people in Ohio that I have asked this same question, and am waiting to hear back from them.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
    In theory yes, you can file a non-resident OH tax return that taxes only your OH income. But to claim that you are FL residents while working in OH I think would require that you commute - I would suggest that for the part of the year that you work in OH you would actually commute from your home in FL each weekend (or at least most weekends). Alternatively you could argue that each year you move from FL to OH and then move back to FL, and instead of filing a non-resident return you would file a part-year resident return. You would end up paying tax to OH on all income earned during the time of the year you reside in OH, so if you have other forms of income (pension, IRAs, nvestment income, etc) OH would be justified in taxing those sources of income for the time of year that you are OH residents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida resident working in NY [ 2 Answers ]

We recently hired an employee who has a residence in Florida, but is staying with relatives in NY while he works there. Do we deduct NY state & local income tax from him? Our co is based in PA, but he will only be working in NY.

Part time resident ky but all work in Ohio [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in Ohio and had 3 jobs between January 2007 and may 2007 then I moved to ky and work in Ohio from June 2007 to December 2007. How do I file taxes for this? I'm single no kids no write offs just the 4 different jobs in Ohio but have lived in ky for half the time.

Resident for Florida Tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

I own vacation property in the U.S. and want to sell. In order to save on taxes can I become a resident without a visa or green card? Must I live there more than 179 days? WC

Congratulations Florida Gators! & new script Ohio [ 15 Answers ]

Boy they sure ruled the field. The Bucks looked like High Schoolers. Wow! Now I'll have to re-train my snake to heel at his new name :p

View more questions Search