Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aporis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2005, 09:39 AM
    Shower Drain Clog
    Hi.We have a stand alone shower that within the last year has clogged 2 times.Both times we took off the shower cover and picked out hair and debris with a hanger.Is there a way to keep the hair from trapping in the pipe and just catching it before it goes down?We have a 4 inch drain cover with two screws.Thanks very much.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2005, 11:33 AM
    Shower Drain Clog
    "Is there a way to keep the hair from trapping in the pipe and just catching it before it goes down?"

If there was I'd make a million. Making the strainer finer would constrict the drainage and water would build up in shower base.

Hair and grease are what clogs shower lines and to clear the line you will have to snake the line. Purchase a hand crank auger and remove the strainer,( TIP: put the screws in the soap dish. If they go down the drain they aren't that easy to replace) and run the snake down the drain. About 8 inches down you will run into the "J" bend of the trap. Push and crank your way around it. You now have a clear shot down the drain line. Put out 10 or 15' of cable and draw it back. Now take two large pans of boiling water and flush the rest of the crud out into the main. The boiling water will melt the remaining grease and hair and whisk it away.
    Good luck, Tom
    aporis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2005, 01:15 PM
    Clogged Drain
    Thanks Tom.Guess it's off to Home Depot.I think I'll be using this quite often.
    mmarton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2005, 07:21 AM
    Clogged Shower Drain
    We just had a new shower roughed in on the second floor of our house. I installed the new membrane for the shower pan and did a successful leak test. But I noticed water backing up in the drain as I was letting the water drain out. The bulk of the water drained, but some water remained in the drain itself.

Should I see some water in the drain at all times? Is this because of the trap? Is there a clog?

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 30, 2005, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarton
    We just had a new shower roughed in on the second floor of our house. I installed the new membrane for the shower pan and did a successful leak test. But I noticed water backing up in the drain as I was letting the water drain out. The bulk of the water drained, but some water remained in the drain itself.

Should I see some water in the drain at all times? Is this because of the trap? Is there a clog?

Thanks.
    If you're looking down the drain pipe what you're seeing is the trap seal. This is normal and not a clog. Good luck and cover the strainer with duct tape before you tile so no grout gets down the drain. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Kitchen sink drain clog [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink drain has a complete clog. I have a dual tub sink with a disposal on the left and the dishwasher drain on the right. The water backs up into the sink regardless of which tub I run the water into. It also backs up into both sinks when I run the dishwasher. This tells me the...

Rebuilding Shower - Leveling new shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have come to the postings to get some help as I am a novice plumber. I've gutted my ensuite tilled shower down to the floor. In whacking out the cement pan, and I assumed that I've probably cracked the old drain so when I got to the wood floor I cut away the older PVC 2" piping back...

Can frozen drain pipe be clog? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. All the fixtures in my ground-floor bathroom addition refuse to drain. The water runs (not frozen pipes), and the plumbing in the rest of the house is fine. Before it stopped draining there was a few days of water sputtering up the shower drain and/or the sink drain...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search