Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    User1265 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
    Ask a chemical engineer
    Hello---Is it true that adding ascorbic acid in the bath can neutralize chlorine? Are there any other items we can add to bath tap water to neutralize undesirable chemicals? Thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
    Ascorbic acid is vitamin C an organic compound found in nature. You make it sound like something that shouldn't be available.

No, this won't neutralize anything in your bathwater. That can be accomplished with the proper filtering attachments to your water coming into the house.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 26, 2012, 05:09 PM
    The metal and mineral compounds and forms of carbon in a water filter (whole house, shower, or tap) are complicated and designed to filter out more than just chlorine. But yes, you can use ascorbic acid.

One gram of ascorbic acid will neutralize 1 milligram per liter of chlorine per 100 gallons of water. The reaction is very fast:
    C5H5O5CH2OH + HOCL → C5H3O5CH2OH + HCl + H2O
    Ascorbic acid + Hypochlorous acid → Dehydroascorbic acid + Hydrochloric acid + water
    Approximately 2.5 parts of ascorbic acid are required for neutralizing 1 part chlorine.

(Sodium ascorbate, another form of Vitamin C, will also neutralize chlorine, but is preferable for high concentrations of chlorine not found in homes.)
    User1265 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2012, 07:29 PM
    Such different answers--thank you. There is a bath tablet that claims to do this:

"Vitamin C dechlorination tablets are comprised of ascorbic acid, citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. This powerful formula is designed to neutralize chlorine and chloramines in in hot tub or spas. The vitamin C will become effervescent and begin to fizz. One tablet is able to neutralize 1 ppm chlorine and chloramines in 100 gallons of water and completely eliminate the dry itchy skin caused by chlorine in your hot tub or spas. Dechlorination agent: 100% Pharmaceutical Grade Vitamin C. Totally remove chlorine and chloramines from your hot tub and spas. . Meets the dechlorination requirements of the US EPAs Clean Water Act."

So in your opinion, this can work for people who are concerned about breathing in chlorine/chloramine during hot bath?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are frequently asked questions in technical interview of Chemical Engineer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I'm B.Tech in Petrochemical Technology... plz let me know the question asked in technical interview of Chemical or Process Engineer By learning any chemical software can I improve my marketability... Please help this out... :confused:

Ask a chemical engineer [ 0 Answers ]

Isocyanates --suitable lubricant? I live in Panama, Central America and we have limited (to no) access to the lubricant normally used with the spray polyurethane insulation equipment. The recommended lubricant is called DOP (Di-Octyl Phthalate) or DEHP. The chemical name is Bis (2-ethylenexy)...

What type of executive mba will best suit for a chemical engineer working in refin [ 1 Answers ]

What type of executive mba will best suit for a chemical engineer working in refinery having more than 11 years of experience.

Ask a chemical engineer [ 3 Answers ]

I'm generating oxygen and hydrogen with electrodes for water treatment.This is 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen.This works. I like to know which of the two is more important In this processas as I can controle the qty of each. Thank you

View more questions Search