Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wishingihadntaccepted Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Can personal representative transfer car title?
    I am personal representative for my mother's estate. Her will gave me complete control of her assets. My sister had been driving Mom's car for over a year, with Mom's permission. She does not have a car of her own, nor have the money to buy one. The car is very old, almost worthless from a monetary point of view, and I know Mom would have wanted her to have it. Can I transfer title to her without violating any of my responsibilities to the estate? I know she is not supposed to drive it now that our mother has passed, but it is her only way of getting to and from work. Can I do this as long as I keep a record of the transfer? Being personal rep is far more stressful than I ever would have guessed, but solving this problem would be a great help.
    Thank you!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2007, 06:11 AM
    It depends on the nature of the estate, what the will said etc. If your sister is a beneficiary of the estate then I don't see a problem here. You would have to get an appraisal of the car, then use that appraisal as a credit against your sister's share of the estate. Then just transfer title. As Executor you can sign off on the title transfer.
    wishingihadntaccepted Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Thanks for the response. My sister is a beneficiary, and the will is very clear and uncomplicated so I feel comfortable going forward with this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Title and Registration transfer [ 2 Answers ]

I am from state of IN. six months back I bought a car with my brother as a co-signer. The title and registartion has both of our names. He just co-signed for me as I am not eligible for a loan at that time. I am the active owner of the car. Now I want to refinance my car loan without the...

Probate and Personal Representative [ 3 Answers ]

Mother died 4years ago, my sister was named personal rep for the estate. It has now been over 4 years, my other sister and I ( both equal beneficiaries) have received a partial distribution and interim accounting about 2 and 1/2 yrs. Ago. Personal Rep. says that keeping the estate open as long as...

View more questions Search