Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtownsend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Gas logs pilot light works but will not turn on
    I was able to light the pilot light and it stays lit, but when I flip the switch to turn on the gas nothing happens.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 25, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Is this a new situation with an old install or did you just install now? Which brand?
    dtownsend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
    13 year old... worked last year. Turned off pilot for summer. Pilot is on, but the switch will not turn on the main burners. Checked wiring and it is good.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
    Is the pilot controlled by a thermocouple or a thermopile? You may not be producing enough millivolts to allow the main burner to open if you have a weak thermopile.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 25, 2012, 07:31 PM
    No switch on mine, after the pilot lights I must turn a knob 1/4 turn to allow flame to light. Is your different, no knob to turn
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2012, 07:42 AM
    Mine is like that. Has a lit pilot with a 120 VAC wall switch. Flip the switch and it's on. Can adjust under front access panel for flame height. New house (4 yrs) , Majestic direct vent glass front set. The set in our mountain house is as you described, 1/4 turn to left. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas wall heater pilot light goes out when I turn the valve from 'pilot' to 'on'. [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my gas wall heater pilot light go out when I turn the valve from 'pilot' to 'on'? The pilot lights and stays lit until I try to turn the valve. It's got a brand new thermocouple.

Pilot light gas logs will not light? [ 3 Answers ]

Pilot will not lite. Have blown it out with compressed air. Have done this for the last 14 yrs and it always worked. I do have gas in the line up to the pilot. Also, when blowing the pilot out with compressed air I can feel an air stream coming out the other end.

Older steam boiler won't turn on, new thermostat & pilot works [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very old American Standard Steam Boiler Series number 1B-J1 -It is a manual water feed, operated by a turn handle (much like a garden hose) -It has a Baso switch which detects if the pilot is lit -It has a McDonell No 69 Low Water Cutoff -The Gas cut off valve (I think that's what...

Pilot light on gas logs won't stay lit. [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot will light and stay on as long as the knob is in the pilot position as soon as I turn it to the on position I here a click and it goes out immediately. The flame is the appropriate blue color- not yellow to indicate it needs to be cleaned out. It is touching the thermocouple...

Remote works, light works, fan humms does not turn [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Hamton Bay fan with a remote/no pull chain. The light on the remote comes on and does properly operate the light on the fan. It also turns on and off a humming noise but there is no movement from the fan itself. Of course, the house did not come with an owners manual. Is...

View more questions Search