Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bewitchedmama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Both parents disabled, separated, child on the way, child support?
    My husband and I are separated, we both live on disability income, we have a child on the way. I plan to apply for benefits from my social security income for our baby. Since we are separated, with him also being disabled, will he have money taken from him for child support?
    bewitchedmama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Both parents disabled, separated, child on the way, child support?
    I live in KS & receive SSI & SSDI. My husband (we are separated) receives SSI & lives in MO. We have a baby on the way. I plan to apply for benefits for our baby. Will they be taking money from him for child support? He does plan to be in our baby's life & help the best he can. We are unable to have a successful marriage or be able to live together because of our disabilities but we don't have hard feeling towards each other.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 08:18 PM
    A person on SSi really has no way of paying child support. SSDi is a different issue. There are some dependent benefits available.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2012, 09:09 PM
    From my understanding,the income from disability is not 'taxable' and no leans can be made against them.but that's just my understanding.(limited as it may be)

If you contact the Social Security office on Monday,they can answer your question.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    From my understanding,the income from disability is not 'taxable' and no leans can be made against them.but that's just my understanding.(limited as it may be)

If you contact the Social Security office on Monday,they can answer your question.
    I think your confusing things a bit. So lets try to be clear here. The question was asked in regards to SSi and SSDi. Normally with SSD there is a benefit amount because it is a qualified payment. SSi is not a supplement but rather a substance payment.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
    Yes,that is why I suggested they contact the SS offices,they can make it clearer than I ever could, and I'm ON disability,I still don't have a totally clear picture.. it's confusing to say the least..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My child father doesn't have to pay child support due to being disabled can [ 14 Answers ]

Can I get SSI for my child if the father don't have to pay child support due to being disabled? What all proof do I need to show when applying? How long does everything take?

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

View more questions Search