Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyracandelaria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Time travel
    If one was to build a time machine why is it that some peoples theories say that it will only work within the time it was built. How can you travel further back then the time machine was built. Would you use as a communication device to send a message if you were to speak into the past? Could you communicate with sound how would you calculate the time you would go. How would you turn it off and on.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
    I have no idea. Certainly you must have some ideas already, since you are even posing these questions. Is this for a school project or an assignment?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 04:14 PM
    There's no way to give a scientific response, which would be based on facts, on something that isn't factual.

Basically, when it comes to time travel, there are no rules. You can make up whatever you want, because it's not possible. So anything goes.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Nov 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
    Hi tyracandelaria,

I think the short answer to your first question is that it is logically possible to travel back in time to point in time before your time machine was invented.

The important point is that it is LOGICALLY POSSIBLE. This DOES NOT mean that it is ACTUALLY POSSIBLE. Your other questions can also be investigated in terms of LOGICAL possibilities. Invariably these questions will involve addressing a number of paradoxes.

Tut
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 01:31 AM
    Those that follow time travel will believe normally that time travels in waves, and are at a regular basis. So to judge and calculate those waves will allow a person to know how far.

The issue is that to communicate one would have to either leave a path way open which is not normally a expected event. The way to estimate time will be of course temporal time in the travel event.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Your questions will take your lifetime to answer, probably. Good luck.

With no knowledge of theoretical physics, I see a 'time machine' as being simply a space ship that goes faster than the speed of light and comes back to earth. Or at least that will be the first step. Maybe rearranging molecules and speeding them around might be next.

As for communicating with and changing the past, those are topics that entertain many a theoretician. There's even some good movies on the subject. My favorite question is how can you change the past without changing the present that allows you to even exist?

Nov 23, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Your questions will take your lifetime to answer, probably. Good luck.

With no knowledge of theoretical physics, I see a 'time machine' as being simply a space ship that goes faster than the speed of light and comes back to earth. Or at least that will be the first step. Maybe rearranging molecules and speeding them around might be next.

As for communicating with and changing the past, those are topics that entertain many a theoretician. There's even some good movies on the subject. My favorite question is how can you change the past without changing the present that allows you to even exist?

Your first reference is to time dilation and special relativity. So yes, it is actually possible to revisit the earth as it exists in the future.

I think your second reference is to the grandfather paradox. If you could go back in time and kill your grandfather is it possible to continue your existence? The answer seems to be no, but there are ways of getting around this problem. In theory that is.

Tut
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    So yes, it is actually possible to revisit the earth as it exists in the future.
    Really? Can you prove that?

As has been pointed out, since no one has ever done it, anything about time travel is theory. I don't think anything has been proven one way or another about it.

So until you can prove something making statements about what is and isn't possible, doesn't make sense.
    current pert

Nov 23, 2012, 08:21 AM
    We don't really know that no one has ever done it... and no, I'm not talking about ancient visitors. I'm just sayin' we don't know. For all we know someone on these very boards is from the future, and isn't eager to tell us. Of course you could argue that that means it hasn't been done yet. So I can say that someone on these boards has made many visits to the past...

We don't 'know' that the Egyptians who built the pyramids had a thorough knowledge of astronomy, including precession of the planets, and of the sun being the center of our solar system (other cultures seem to have had that knowledge too), but we have no 'proof' and so ascribe such knowledge to later scientists.

Nov 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
    Good point. Let me restate, no one has come forward with proof that they have done it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 02:48 PM
    All I know is that if you use your DeLorean to go far into the past, make sure you bring enough plutonium to get back, and don't let your mother fall in love with you. :)
    current pert

Nov 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Oops, won't let me appreciate Alty's response, LOL.

Now I'm all curious about how to get around killing my grandfather..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 03:42 PM
    In The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser, "a 20-year-old Boulder girl stares into her grandmother's Chinese mirror on her wedding day in 1978, faints and comes to in her grandmother's body--in 1900--about to be married to a miner. As she moves through life, even giving birth to her own mother, she becomes known as a fairly decent seer. Had she paid more attention in school, she would have been a great one." (Amazon)

Nov 24, 2012, 12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Really? Can you prove that?

As has been pointed out, since no one has ever done it, anything about time travel is theory. I don't think anything has been proven one way or another about it.

So until you can prove something making statements about what is and isn't possible, doesn't make sense.

Time dilation has been proven by numerous scientific experiments going back as far as the 1970's. Subsequent experiments since have confirmed the findings.

See the following link.

http://www.hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu...iv/airtim.html

This is also why global positioning satellites need to be adjusted on a regular basis. Time passes slower at altitude ( relative to sea level).
    Tut

Nov 24, 2012, 06:51 AM
    Your statement was that it is possible to revisit the earth in the future. How does time dilation prove that?

Nov 24, 2012, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Your statement was that it is possible to revisit the earth in the future. How does time dilation prove that?

The velocities we are able to obtain in out world only represent a fraction of the speed of light. Nonetheless, time dilation has been reproduced experimentally. Even the Space Shuttle orbiting the earth at about 8 k.p.s represents about 0.0000300 the speed of light. Even if the Shuttle orbited the earth for a year this would still only represent a time dilation of about 5 nanoseconds.

Therefore, upon returning from my Space Shuttle journey I would find to my amazement (compared to my atomic clock) all the atomic clocks on earth had gained 5 nanoseconds.

There are of course a number of ways to interpret the data. One of those ways is to say that the Shuttle pilot, upon returning to earth has done so 5 nanoseconds into the future.

The reason I said that it is possible to revisit the earth in the future is because I support a particular interpretation of the data available.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Time travel [ 3 Answers ]

Man travels back in time on motor bike and becomes his own great grandfather when he gets back to present time?

Time travel [ 1 Answers ]

Is about a group of boys that go to the museum of natural history then they go across to central park in NYC rent a small little boat, and end up in prehistoric time. Is was in the 60,s I think.

Time travel [ 1 Answers ]

Opening scene is a kid on a baseball field. Sees a plaque with famous avators on it.Well any way kid find a time machine in a basement with a special key turns out the inventor is a pilot who miss his chance at greatness. The time machine looks like a barbers chair spins around real fast and zaps...

Time travel [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone give me some scientific details and stuff backing up time travel. I mean I still don't understand why people want to time travel.. aren't there great consequences? Altering our time etc. Is time travel religiously moral? I don't believe God would want us messing with the world if he mad...

View more questions Search