Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danar Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Utility bills
    Hi guys, good day to all

Can anybody explain me why electric company bills their consumer in KWHr not in KVAhr? Is this to the advantage of the electric company?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Mar 14, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danar
    hi guys, good day to all

can anybody explain me why electric company bills their consumer in KWHr not in KVAhr? is this to the advantage of the electric company?
    Actually, major industrial customers are billed in this manner. However, domestic meters measure only true enery usage; they multiply the instantaneous voltage by the instantaneous current, to calculate the instantaneous power. Then they use that to calculate the total power usage as kilowatt-hours (kWh). Since most domestic loading is purely resistive, there would be little difference between KVAhr and KWhr.
    Industrial load on the other hand is often highly inductive,(motors) and so they would be billed in both the KVAhr and The KWhr method above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bills. [ 7 Answers ]

Wow, I did not think it was possible or so easy. I have seen it on other shows done, but have not done it myself. I just decided to call up a company I deal with for my cable, internet and phone. My contract was up and I said That I was been offered a certain price a lot lower then them with a...

Utility bills [ 1 Answers ]

Can you iclude electric gas

Help with bills [ 5 Answers ]

I am not employed as of now, I lost my job due to car issues. I was at that job for around a year, it was graveyard shift and bus was not running that late could not get a ride that far. I have a daughter and I need money to help with my electric that is going to be cut off and help with rent or me...

Hospital bills [ 5 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined My hubby suffered a heart attack in August, 04. We had health insurance but our hospital co-pay is 4 grand. We never received a bill from the hospital. In the winter we lost our heat for 4 days and became sick & a very mean, ignorant young lady from a collection...

View more questions Search