Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vannarea Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2012, 03:40 PM
    German shepherd breeding
    I have a dog aggressive german shepherd he has had a litter with a stray but is aggressive to dogs will he be safe to breed with a nother female I was not around when he bred with the stray I only know they were his
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 20, 2012, 04:12 PM
    No one should breed unless they are a registered breeder, with a show quality dog with no issues. Aggression is a trait that can be passed down. A dog that is aggressive should not sire pups.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Do you have AKC paper on him?
    Pets Expert

Nov 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Ballen, since I am the pet expert, I can see deleted threads in the pet forum. The OP in this case posted what was basically an ad, looking for a female to breed with her unregistered male. That thread was deleted, as it was an ad.

So I can answer your question. No, this dog has no papers. He's not breeding quality.

Nov 20, 2012, 06:14 PM
    This owner should not breed this shepard, ever. Can't figure out why anyone would want to breed when there are so many rescues out there already. I have 3 rescuies who replaced 2 who died last year, when these guy go in many years they will be replaced with more rescues. Here I my middle gay who just got a red ribbin in rally and also got her companion paper. She ate the ribbon the next day. Oops seems like attaching a pic isn't like I thought.

Nov 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
    No we never had papers but the vet we got him from is a breeder and as long as he has been breeding all the pups are pure bred .

Nov 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
    That may sound reasonable to most people but a dog without papers is barred from most AKC events. Pups are not worth the money spent to raise them. I do not mean to sound like I am beating you up but I'd like to discuss this with your vet, he is not doing anyone a service other than himself. Also, why on earth would a breeder breed his dog without papers if the dog was pure bred, makes no sense

Nov 20, 2012, 06:26 PM
    This owner should not breed this shepard, ever. Can't figure out why anyone would want to breed when ther are so many rescues out there already. I have 3 rescuies who replaced 2 who died last year, when these guy go in many years they will be replaced with more rescues. Here i my middle gay who just got a red ribbin in rally and also got her companion paper. She ate the ribbon the next day. Oops seems like attaching a pic isn't like I thought.
    \][pall of our animals except 3 are rescues :) I think they make the best dogs. One of ours is a mix with just about everything and she is the best dog we have. We have 8 rescue cats and 5 dogs 2 are rescues and 1 rescue ferret. We got our german shepherd for my dad as a search and rescue dog bu my dad died when he was about 5 months old. After that he got to being a bully then just mean to new dogs unless they are eather in heat or submissive. But he loves puppies they are his favorite things to ply with and he's so gentil I don't get it he has like two personalities.

Nov 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    No one should breed unless they are a registered breeder, with a show quality dog with no issues. Aggression is a trait that can be passed down. A dog that is aggressive should not sire pups.
    Do you think the aggression will get worse with age?

Nov 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
    Yes, it will get worse. His aggression could actually be his way of dealing with fear. He is not the type of dog which should be bred. He will create more rescues and there are too many as it is. Aggressive/bully is not a desirable trait for any dog. It is up to you to train that out of him and you may need the help of a professional trainer to resolve this problem

Nov 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
    That may sound reasonable to most people but a dog without papers is barred from most AKC events. Pups are not worth the money spent to raise them. I do not mean to sound like I am beating you up but I'd like to discuss this with your vet, he is not doing anyone a service other than himself. Also, why on earth would a breeder breed his dog without papers if the dog was pure bred, makes no sense
    I don't know I never thought to ask him
    Pets Expert

Nov 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
    Your vet isn't a breeder. A breeder with purebred show quality, breed quality dogs, gets them registered. Your vet is a backyard breeder, and if you breed your dog, that's what you'll be as well.

Frankly, at this point, with over 5 million dogs being killed each year (in the US alone) due to lack of homes, I don't even think registered breeders should be breeding.

So I have to ask. Why do you want to breed? Is it for money? Or is it to further the breed?

If it's for money, well, I won't tell you my thoughts on that. My post would be deleted, and this thread would be closed, not to mention that most of what I would write would be censored.

If it's to further the breed, then you shouldn't breed. Your dog is not a great representative of his breed. Being purebred doesn't matter, he has issues. He's aggressive (which will be passed down) he's not registered, he hasn't been shown, hasn't won any shows. Shows aren't to get money, they're to determine if your dog is the best quality of his breed. He's not breed worthy. That's not a bad thing for a pet.

Enjoy him as a pet. Enjoy him for who and what he is. Don't perpetuate an already huge problem by adding more unwanted pups into this world. Please. I beg you.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
    If your dog is dog aggressive, why would you want to breed it? Some personalities are genetic.

Neuter your dog and his attitude might change. Intact male dogs are very aggressive... adding the fact he is a GSD only makes things worse. No offense against GSDs, but they are not beginner breeds.
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
    why on earth would a breeder breed his dog without papers if the dog was pure bred, makes no sense
    Ballengerb1,
    To some people, it doesn't matter if the dog has papers or not.. Its purebred and it looks like the breed.. that's all they care about. And what makes matters worse, there are lots of people out in the world that don't care about papers on a dog as long as it is purebred.

And this is how "breeders" of such dogs look at it..

The big kennels, with the papered dogs, can sell their dogs for $800-$2000 (maybe more) per puppy... That's a lot of money. A dog without papers but is purebred can have puppies sold at $100-$300 and will get the asking price. That is a lot of money as well. The big breeders typically don't breed every cycle... the backyard breeders will so that they can reach the same financial goal as the big breeders.

Its absolutely absurd and I hate it.. but that is the truth.. And than you have people like the OP who think its cute that their dog is making puppies and refuse to get the animal under control and/or neutered. So now we have the purebred mating with the street mutt and thus we have shelter dogs.

If more people would realize that a dog with papers doesn't mean that you have to breed it, than I think we would have less dogs in shelters. If more people would realize that just because the dog is a good pet and a wonderful dog and think they want to breed it.. we'd have less backyard breeders and less dogs with genetic problems.
    Pets Expert

Nov 21, 2012, 03:11 PM
    I have to spread the rep Lucky, but I agree 200%!

Nov 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
    Thanks for everyone's opinions I will take each and everyone into careful consideration and we don't want to breed him for money it is for the pup nothing more
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2012, 09:06 PM
    For the pup? What's that mean?
    Pets Expert

Nov 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
    Breeding for the pup? What does that mean? How is breeding a less than ideal male, for the good of any pup?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

German Shepherd won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

She is 8 months old now she has always been a bit of a light eater... when we first got her sometimes she would want to eat more than what we gave her & so we would give her more... we got her at about 2 months old & we dewormed her because she had many tapeworms and gave her the 1st shots but for...

German shepherd breeding [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 month male german shepherd. I'm just curious what's a good age to breed him with another german shepherd

German Shepherd wont't eat by himself, why? [ 3 Answers ]

My shepherd is almost 3 years old and won't eat by himself. We had a labrador until about 1 month ago we gave him away because he was teaching our shepherd how to get out of the fence. Since we have given him away, our shepherd won't eat by himself unless I stand there and tell him to eat and...

German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a 12 month GSD with quite a few problems. He is very dominant. I can't go near his food bowl when he's eating, when I take him for a walk I have to keep him on a lead otherwise he runs off, if any other dog comes near he tries to attack it. I don't work during the day and I got...

German Shepherd [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. He is highly socialized and has been through training. He has never had any real aggression other than the barking at strangers when entering the home. He was neutured at six months. Yesterday, I was at a college event outside at the park. A friend...

View more questions Search