Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smithjt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 06:49 AM
    How do I measure multiple electrical feeders with one small clamp on meter
    How do I use a small amp probe, clamp on meter, to measure current on multiple feeder conductors? Do I measure one and then multiply by the number of conductors?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2012, 07:28 AM
    You can't clamp around a cable, it needs to be clamped around a single conductor, and 10 amps will read 10 amps, If you have a long enough single conductor, wrap 10 turns(coils), then clamp around, it will read 10 time higher.
    Handy if measuring a small current.
    If you measure with 10 turns, and read 16 amps, the actual draw would be 1.6 amps.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2012, 07:36 AM
    If you are attempting to read a three-phase feeder for example...
    measure and record the amperage of each hot leg, A phase, B phase and C phase.
    For the connected load on each phase multiply your reading x the applied voltage...
    i.e. a reading of 10 amps on A phase x 120 volts = 1200 kVA (or watts if you assume power factor is equal to 1 or unity)
    a reading of 20 amps on B phase x 120 volts = 2400 kVA
    a reading of 30 amps on C phase x 120 volts = 3600 kVA
    then add the totals, 1200 + 2400 + 3600 = 7200 kVA
    Is this what you were looking for?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2012, 07:45 AM
    I will guess that Smithjt has parallel conductors on each phase.

If so, not the best method, but you can measure the current in each conductor and add the sum of each for the total current for each phase.

Will get you close, but not 100% accurate, better off with a meter with a large jaw, or flexible current probes, that can surround all conductors of each phase.
    smithjt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Yes, thank-you, much appreciated! Multiple 350 Kcmil per phase.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Note: if there are for example three conductors per phase, then measurements of each conductor in each set should be relatively equal...
    If they are not, it is a good indication that the terminations require tightening...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
    The difference is amps on multiple conductors of one pahse is usually due to minor difference in length of conduotrs.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Tk, allow me to qualify my response...
    If the readings are "very" different, let's say more that 10% +/- then
    As preventative maintenance the terminations should be re-tightened...
    We saw this with a transformer and a distribution panel at a soft drink plant.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Nov 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
    wow 10A x 120V = 1200 kVA?

1,200,000 watts?

priceless
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Nov 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    The difference is amps on multiple conductors of one pahse is usually due to minor difference in length of conduotrs.
    Occasionally, a minor difference in length usually has no effect on measured loads, more often than not the problem lies in how the source transformer is loaded. Unbalanced loads on phases from the source transformer causes voltage to vary as supplied to other or all loads on any phase.
    And since perfect balance is nearly impossible to maintain even when a facility is first produced, changes in the balanced loading of the transformer's phases will be further upset as changes are made to the facility over time, like remodeling, additions of new equipment yadda yadda yadda

Variations in available voltage on each phase will translate as unequal currents drawn by a load.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can we measure energy of 2 single phases in a 3 phase energy CT meter [ 1 Answers ]

We have two single phase energy sources. We want to measure the energy flown through these two phases in one meter. Can we use a 3 phase CT meter, connect two CTs to the meter and short the CTs link of the 3rd phase in the meter?

60 AMP feeder line to meter and from meter is 200 AMP wire to my electrical box. [ 13 Answers ]

I have a old 60 AMP feeder line from the top of my house to the meter. From the meter is 200 AMP new wire. I was wondering if this is even safe and what would the cost be of updating the feeder line?

Looking for a decent clamp meter [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking to buy a decent clamp meter. In case I'm using the wrong term, here's a picture of what I'm referring to: http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/31/90923_031020041314_ExhibitPic.jpg The thing is, I'm kind of confused by all the choices out there. I'm looking to spend a maximum...

Relocate Electrical Meter [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to add an addition to my house the problem is the wall I'd like to demo for the additon is where my Electrical service is. Bare in mind I have not talked to the town inspector yet and I'm trying to finalize my plans to get my permits. Just trying to make sure I'm covering every...

Electrical Meter [ 1 Answers ]

Can a meter that the electric company reads be easily moved or moved at all? If so, is it very costly? Thanks.

View more questions Search