Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marci-ellis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Unapproved by council dwelling
    Mwy daughter moved into a house that had not been council approved,upon council doing their inspection they deemed not passed.(hey had been told that if it didn't pass they would have to move and that they would get all the rent they had paid and that they would also be re-imbursed moving costs,now that they are out and living in a tent with 5 children ranging from 9 years-1 yr old.(he person who did the inspection said to my son in law,"its a shame you don't know the law"but no-one wants to know,can you help them please.(hey had only been in the house for 4 months,now they are homeless.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
    What do you want someone to do to help them? They will need to find an appropriate place to live.

Depending on where you live, they can report the landlord for this uninhabitable dwelling to appropriate local authorities, and find out if being charged rent to live in an illegal residence was allowable. However, if they knew when they moved in that it wasn't a legal residence, it's hard to say whether they have any recourse to get their rent back.

If the decision was that the place can't be approved as a residence, they should not fight that decision. It is probably based on the safety of the structure and with that many kids, safey is important.

I don't know where they live but in the US, with 5 kids and difficult financial circumstances, they may qualify for public aid including affordable housing. They should call their local county government and ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missouri Tenant Rights - Unapproved Lease Extension [ 16 Answers ]

I have ended my lease with my apartment and provided more than the 30 day advance notice that is required. My landlord sent me a letter acknowledging that he received my letter but that my lease expires at the end of the month June 30th rather than June 4th. I only signed a one year lease that...

There are 18 girl and 12 boys on student council. If two student council member are s [ 6 Answers ]

there are 18 girl and 12 boys on student council. If two student council member are selected at random, what is the probability that the first member is a boy and the second member is a boy?

Approved vs unapproved media bias [ 5 Answers ]

After seemingly learning his lesson last year, Obama has reopened his war on Fox News. In a hard hitting interview in Rolling Stone, Obama (after laughing at the question) called Fox News "destructive" right after acknowledging his role in protecting a free press of course. Shortly after...

Mantaining same dwelling [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I had an argument and she is staying with her friend temporarily she put in a change of address she has had her green card for about 2 months and my question is since it is a temporary green card and cannot become permanent until we have been married for 2 years is her legally changing...

Dwelling on the past [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone well I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now and we are like best friends. Except for one issue when we first started dating I felt the need to lie to him and tell him I had sex previously, I made the story up about a few guys and I think I did it becases I thought at the time he...

View more questions Search