Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AllyCat oX Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Extremely Painful Periods
    I am only sixteen, and have had my period for about two or three years now. Because I haven't had it for the longest time, and I have eating issues, it is not very regular. I usually get it about once every four to seven months. The problem is that when I get it, it is one of the most painful things I have ever felt. I am not a wimpy person, and can handle being sick, but being on my period is worse than having the stomach flu. I have awful stomach cramps that feel like lightning bolts exploding inside me, migraines, diarrhea, I throw up multiple times, and will often times pass out from dehydration from losing liquids. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but the only time I get like this is when I am on my period. I can't talk to my mom about it, because her periods never caused her a problem, and she thinks I am being a big baby. Is there any thing I can do to make it a little less painful, or am I being a big baby like my mom thinks and need to suck it up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 07:13 PM
    You need to talk to your mother and let her know how serious this is. It sounds as though you could have endometriosis or even polycystic ovarian syndrome. You NEED to be evaluated by a doctor.
    jivechicken Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
    This sounds like what I went through. I was even in class once and I felt a wave of pain coming so strong that I passed out while sitting at my desk. Since then I've been on the pill for a few years. A few cycles into taking the pill my cramps were only an annoyance and felt like moderate gas... and they only happened on the day I got my period. I've actually switched pills a few times and my newest on is Yaz. A few months ago I told my doctor I was still having slight pains at random times during the month and she thought I might have endometriosis, so I have been put on the 3 month cycle where I get my period every 3 months. I love it! I strongly recommend asking about the 3 month cycle. There is actually no health risk with prolonging your period, in fact it can actually reduce the risk of some kind of cancer.
    AllyCat oX Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 07:42 PM
    My friends have also recommended going on the pill, but my parents a very strict and think that no daughter of theirs will be put on the "whore pill" even if it is for medical reasons instead of pregnancy reasons. Maybe if I were to talk to a doctor and they recommended it.
    jivechicken Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 10:23 AM
    I understand. My parents were the same way when I was young, but I decided to go on it at 20. By that point hopefully they've laid all the morals in your head that they possibly can, and it's up to your best judgement what you do. They can only keep you under their control for so long, especially when it has to do with your health.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extremely Dry Skin [ 3 Answers ]

Ever since I was little I have been plagued with severe dry skin. Everyday after showering, I have to apply lotion or my skin gets so dry it will literally crack open and bleed, it looks a lot like the dry cracked up ground in a desert. During the summer, its not so bad and I have found a lotion...

Heavy Periods, then Two periods? Emotional! [ 2 Answers ]

I have always had normal periods until now. I just turned 36 on Jan. 11, 2007. During Oct & Nov of 06 my monthly cycle was normal expect that I noticed I had heavy bleeding and more cramping. (heavy meaning soaking 1 or more tampon per hour). Dec was back to normal. Great. Well happy birthday to...

Addition to painful periods with less bleeding [ 2 Answers ]

Just want to add a few things to my question. I have very painful periods though they are regular but it bleeds very less during menstruation. My menstruation period lasts for 2 days only, most of the time clots come instead of blood. I face pre and post menstrual pains as well, i.e. my body...

Painful periods wit less bleeding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I'm Lena, 28 years old. I have very painful periods and it bleeds very less during menstruation. My body starts aching 3-4 days before menses and it lasts till the end. I have been facing this problem for last one year and with this pain my weight is also increasing rapidly and I...

Extremely Dusty House [ 4 Answers ]

I know this sounds like a weird space to ask this question. I bought my current home in August '04. It is very similar to my previous house in many ways- built in 1910's, hardwood floors, 10 ft ceilings, etc. But I have a monster dust bunny problem here! I do have pets, 2 dogs (a boxer and a...

View more questions Search