Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinymom27 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Worrisome weight loss
    I am 25 years old. Before I had my baby via cesarian I ate like a grown man. I am 4'11" and my average weigh is usually around 100 lbs or so. Ever since I had my baby, my appetite has decreased. Well, I get hungry, but when I try to eat each bite makes me nauseous. My husband says it's anorexia and the only answer is to eat, but I know I'm not fat, I have dropped down to 78 lbs. I know it's not anorexia. We can't afford to go to a doctor. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing! I do try to eat, but small amounts make me full or I can't even chew the food without feeling ill.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 08:24 AM
    How long ago did you have the baby?

Nov 18, 2012, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    How long ago did you have the baby?
    1 year this month.
    Education Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tinymom27 View Post
    1 year this month.
    Try to find a clinic or affordable medical care. Having trouble eating and keeping food down for this long is worrisome.

Nov 18, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Try to find a clinic or affordable medical care. Having trouble eating and keeping food down for this long is worrisome.
    It has happened gradually and it's only been the last month that the nausea has gotten worse. I have no choice but to wait until we get our finances in order.
    Education Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tinymom27 View Post
    It has happened gradually and it's only been the last month that the nausea has gotten worse. I have no choice but to wait until we get our finances in order.
    Could you be pregnant?

Nov 18, 2012, 10:52 AM
    Could you be pregnant?
    No, I thought that too, at first, but my period came right on schedule. I have had a lot of stress from relatives and a couple of huge lifestyle changes. I had a discussion with my husband and we are going to try a few home remedies and if it doesn't seem to help in a few weeks we are going to make some arrangements to see a doctor.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
    I'd backtrack to the c-section. Was it unusual in any way? Were you in labor at all before the c-section? Were any other procedures performed at the same time?

Nov 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'd backtrack to the c-section. Was it unusual in any way? Were you in labor at all before the c-section? Were any other procedures performed at the same time?
    I went into premature labor at 34 weeks and was in labor for four days prior to the c section. No other procedures were done.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Why did they let you labor for FOUR days?

Nov 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Why did they let you labor for FOUR days?
    In order to give the steroids time to do their thing for the baby's lungs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 12:52 PM
    How was the labor? Stop and go or barely there or wild and crazy? Did they give you anything to stop labor?

How long were you in the hospital? And your food intake then?

Nov 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
    How was the labor? stop and go or barely there or wild and crazy? Did they give you anything to stop labor?

How long were you in the hospital?

and your food intake then?
    The labor was pretty intense at first. I was in the hospital for a total of seven days. I had a solid meal thanksgiving morning, then liquids only on Friday. They had me on magnesium solfate to stop the contractions. Nothing at all to eat or drink for two days. My water broke on Saturday. After the c section it was liquids only for the first day, but even after that, I didn't eat much.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Have you had additional symptoms such as unusual fatigue and constipation?

I went Googling around for magnesium sulfate and found that hypercalcemia, an elevated calcium level in the blood, can cause anorexia. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask for a blood draw to check my calcium levels. It's a slim possibility and I am definitely not any kind of a medical professional, but I am a skilled and experienced researcher who was able to change my oncologist's mind about a couple of long-held beliefs. It might be worth checking out.

J_9, our resident nurse, will certainly have input here along the way.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 04:27 PM
    It wouldn't have to do with the Magnesuim. She's too far out for that. That's temporary and we have Calcium Gluconate at the bedside should hypercalcemia should happen.

I'm wondering if you have a form of GERD. This can happen before, during and/or after pregnancy.

I'm sorry to say, and I know you don't have insurance, but a doctor's appointment is seriously in order here.
    krafteame Posts: 48, Reputation: 11

Nov 18, 2012, 05:37 PM
    I agree with what J_9 has said. I was wondering, did anyone make you feel as though you were overweight while you were pregnant or after?
    I was a single mom of three so I do understand what it is to live from paycheck to paycheck and to make it stretch. You may want to check with your local health dept. they may have a program for uninsured/low income or they may no of a community clinic that offers care on a sliding scale fee. It is just so important to get checked out. In 2005 I was having some symptoms and did not have insurance or very little money. I went to the ER which didn't help at all. I finally got out the phone book and picked out a three ob/gyn that were females. I didn't have any luck at the first but the second helped me. I went and explained what was going on and asked for help and let them know I had no insurance and very little money. They agreed to see me the next day and within two more days I was dx with uterine ca. The gyn found a excellent oncologist see me and do my surgery ( with no insur/$$). The oncologist let me know that I was very lucky that I had not waited much longer. See that is why it is important for you to not give up because you do not have insur/$. If you be persistent someone will give you care. You cannot afford not to. Your health is one of the most precious things you have.
    Unexplained weightloss and loss of appetite could very well be something that cannot be put to the side. I do not mean to scare you but I do mean to scare you if you understand what I mean. Please let us know how you are doing. I will keep you in my prayers.

Although I am retired from the medical field, my responses DO NOT replace the advice given by your doctor. I am not licensed to diagnose or treat your specific illness. Any responses I give are to be considered my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cardio vs weight training-which is more effective for quick weight loss? [ 4 Answers ]

I know most everyone makes a big deal about the "fat burning" cardio, but I also know that having a high % of lean muscle bumps up the metabolism, and burns fat faster. If you're working out hard with the weights, you are getting the old heart pumping too. What would be a good regimen for someone...

Weight loss, making my own weight loss journal [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 and I want to lose weight and make my own weight loss journal. What are some things I sholud keep trak of? And shloud there be things I sholud add as I start, like look at taking vitmins.

What weight loss program helps you detoxify and loss weight at a good rate? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to detoxify my body and loss weight healthily and rapidly. I want to lose 80 lbs by the end of the year.. . I did south beach and I lost about 50 pounds in not even 3 months. :)

Worrisome puppy seems to be gettng better [ 7 Answers ]

I am very worried about our puppy. She is about 12 weeks old and she is half pit half lab. She has not been eating or drinking much for the last two days. She looks very skinny and she has had some loose stoolsand vomiting. This started two days ago, but yesterday she was fine, although she still...

View more questions Search