Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Toddro61 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Recirculating pump
    I have a recirculating line running into my hot water heater. I know for a fact that it has not had a pump attached to it for 20 years. I do not know if there was a problem with the line before or if the pump just bit the dust and was taken off. Should I be concerned about attaching a pump and using the line? If so, should I blow off the line and use a retrofit recirculating system instead? Pipes are copper. House built in '71.

Thanks.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 09:33 PM
    You have no idea if the old line is contaminated. Walk away from it. Consider the recirc pump home depot has for 199.95. It works great and is easy to install without a recirc line added.
    Toddro61 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Contaminated from the pipe sediment? Could you run water out of the line and see what it looks like?

Thanks.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Todd, bad advice man. A pipe that has been unused for a long time is not something to be used again.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Doug's right -- If the pipe has been out of the system as long as you say it has, then cut it out and cap it off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recirculating Pump Installation [ 4 Answers ]

What is the proper and UBC method of installing a recirculating pump? A plumber submitted an estimate of $400 to correct what he called an improper existing installation. Currently the return line from the recirculating pump is plumbed into the cold water intake line at the top of the hot water...

Hot Water recirculating pump [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy again, The hot water takes a long time to heat up due to the length of run from the water heater. So... Would installing a recirculating pump be a good idea? I have seen a type which connects the hot and cold and pushed the water from the hot side to the cold until it gets warm...

Well Pump [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to shut off a well pump. I shut the breaker labelled Well in the house, though water is still flowing out of a broken pipe.

Hot water recirculating pumps do work, but [ 2 Answers ]

I can attest that the installation of a hot water recirculating pump (and sensor valve) does work. Hot water very quickly for the morning shower, really! However,. The 'however' is that I find that while the pump is on (in the AM for ~1-1.5 hr.), the hot water and cold water mixing in the...

View more questions Search