Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saswat007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2012, 05:25 AM
    Questions ask mechanical engineer
    Why rear wheels of a tractor are bigger than front wheels?
    Garvit chauhan Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
    I think due to better grip when drum brakes are applied and to make rear portion a little heavier for balancing purpose
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 23, 2013, 04:47 AM
    This thread is over 6 months old, but I'll play along.

Traction. Large diameter tires are better able to drive through ruts and mud without getting stuck.
    Garvit chauhan Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2013, 09:29 AM
    So if large sized tires are better able to drive through mud then why is the front tire smaller in size than the rear one??
    According to your answer the both tires can be same only to avoid stucking in mud?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 24, 2013, 08:03 AM
    The rear tires are the traction tires - the engine drives the rear tires and being large gives them more traction which reduces the rusk of spinning and digging themselves into a hole. The front tires don't provide traction, just steering, and so don't spin and hence won't dig themselves a hole. Plus the front tires being small gives the tractor a tighter turning radius than if they were large.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask a mechanical engineer [ 0 Answers ]

I have five small DC motors with gears on them already I want to design one big gear for four of them, but when I bought these motors they came with no specs with them, I tried contacting the manufactuer but they could not help. Is there a way to calucate the size of the pinion gears without any...

Ask a mechanical engineer [ 19 Answers ]

If I have two equal coil springs, and I compress the first one two inches, can that stored energy be used to compress the second spring two inches ? In other words can the first one relax and compress the second an equal distance ?

Questions to ask a mechanical engineer? [ 1 Answers ]

We have an aluminum window sill with a .1" width X .3125 depth. The outside edge of the groove has a .025 continuous barb. We are installing a .050 aluminum formed sill into the groove. The edge of the sill that goes into the groove has a lanced barb every 6", 050" deep and 3/16" inside the edge....

Insi of mechanical engineer(india) oreng ime is equvelnt to B Tech mechanical [ 0 Answers ]

Insi of mechanical engineer(india) ime is equvelnt to Regular B Tech mechanical engineering? After ime we can take addmision in M Tech in regular? Its very hard to clear all subject?

Ask a mechanical engineer [ 0 Answers ]

I have a hobby of making coin rings by tapping a silver coin around its circumference edge with a small hammer while I turn the coin on top of an anvil to flatten the edge until it reaches a desired width and diameter. Then I cut the center out and polish it. I need advice or an idea to make this...

View more questions Search